Saturday, September 5, 2009

Msgs from friends 34

Msg from Bro Corbett

Radheshyam, I read your weekly newsletter and enjoy it.

Today, someone was enquiring about Foran. You will be sad to learn that Br Foran died on 15 June 2002 while in Ireland on holiday from India. He was staying at his sister's residence. He suffered and massive brain haemorrhage and died shortly afterwards.

With regards

John Corbett


Dear Bro. Corbett,

I was shocked and saddened to hear of Bro Foran.
That, I suppose, is life.
Everybody who comes to this mritulok has to pass away.
We know it but are always saddened when we hear of death.
He was our class teacher in Class IX
At least I am happy he breathed his last in Ireland near his dear ones as he may have probably desired.

Thank you for your encouraging mail.
Although I was directly not one of your students as I was in a junior class when you taught the seniors like Prakash Bhartia. You may remember him.He has gone on to do very well in life as you may have seen in our posts.

However, that did not prevent my pleasure of interacting with you.
One year our class had gone for picnic with you to kettle valley.
You would not rememer it as for you we were one of the crowd.
But for us at that impressionable age, every action went into our memories.

Thank you sir, for all those memories that school gave us and all the sacrifices you brothers made, coming all the way from Ireland to help us, some of you did not even make it back to Ireland.
Yes, at that time you may have appeared harsh to us, but, now looking back, they have become fond memories.

Warm regards

Radheshyam


Msg from David Ludwig

Re Br Foran.....Try St Mary,s Mount Abu website.I think he passed away a while back..........Dave (Ludwig)

Hello Dave,

How are you?
I understand you are in Australia.
I Haven't heard from you since passing out of school.
Yes, Bro. Foran passed away in 2001 in Ireland.
I got the info from bro Corbett and have passed it on to Peter Barber.
Do keep in contact.

Radheshyam


Msg from Bro James Joseph

Dear Radheshyam,

Br. Foran died some 8 to 10 years ago. He had gone to Ireland for a holiday and was found dead while out on a walk by himself. I do not remember the details but if you really want the date and details then let me know.

Br. James


Dear Bro James,

Thank you for the information you have added.
Bro. Corbett also sent a mail last night informing me of his death in 2001 in Ireland at his sister's place. I was really saddened to hear it. He was our class IX teacher in 1963.
How soon time flies?
Bro James, I would like to seek your help..
Since most of the people reading our blog and letters are from Goethals, they would like to know more of the happenings and achievements at Goethals.
I know you are a busy person and would not possibly find the time yourself.
If you could depute one of the Staff or senior boys to give info of school our old boys would be very happy.Nothing much, just news about exams, matches, sports, fetes, socials, picnics, annual results etc, say once a week by Friday so that I could include it in my Saturday letter.
Most of the news we get are from the papers and it is mostly pessimistic. If we hear directly from our school, we would know the actual position.
If necesary, this could be discussed with the Principal also so that it becomes official. If you so advise, I could send him a mail too, if you give me his email ID.
As you may have read, we have set up the Alumni in Kolkata and would like to have a directory of all our old boys upto 2009. This would be possible with the active co-operation of our school.
How is the girsl school doing? Have you increased the number of students?
My wife was enquiring about it just a few days back.

Do let me know you views.

Warm regards

Radheshyam


Msg from Henry Hulley

Dear Radheshyam,

Thank you for taking the time and effort to present this excellent blog that I enjoy receiving and reading.
I cannot understand why someone would object to you using Hari Om, it is your perogative to do so and it offends no sensible person.
Good luck with the Kolkata Alummi, I hope it is a resounding success and I am particularly pleased to note KKChirimar`s involvement. KK and I are both from the 1953 batch and as far as I know are the only survivors of that batch.
It is an excellent idea to start a directory of old boys and I for one would be interested in receiving a copy but if I remember correctly wasn`t it proposed at the centenary planning.
I am also in contact with Matthew Lobo and was in school with him for his last two years as a student as well as when he returned as a teacher. His brother Claude was also in my class.
There are occasions when I disagree with you or with articles that have been included in the blog. In these cases I agree to disagree as everyone has the right to his or her opinion.
Good luck, God Bless and Good health.
Henry Hulley


Dear Henry,

It was a pleasure receiving your mail and the encouragement.
The directory has been in the planning stage for quite some time but now with the formation of the Alumni, I hope it matures, especially since KK is involved.
Yes, I know many of you will not agree with my views on some subjects but as you have pointed out, it is best to agree to disagree, and to concentrate on those points where we agree.
I will pass on this message to KK. I am sure he will be pleased to hear from you after such a long time.
It is indeed good to hear from you oldies of Goethals.
Warm regards,

Radheshyam


Dear Radheshyam,
Many thanks.
K.K.


Msg from K K Rai

Hi RS

Congrats you are doing a great job.We in Sikkim,most of us I mean,like myself are lazy blokes or are too busy.Anyway let me remind you of senior guys who made us proud but passed away so early.Remember SW Tenzing and his elder brother TN Tenzing? Well,SW became the Chief Secretary and TN Director General of Police.Also someone wanted to know about I.N.Shrestha.I havnt had contact with him after school.Someone told me he's in Dharan,Nepal.Another character,Ram Prasad Pradhan from Teendharia,he didnt do well in life.He passed away maybe ten years back.

OK bye for now and I shall be in touch whenever m able to

KK


Hello KK,

You Sikkim boys are not lazy.
It is just the weather is so cold that you feel like getting into bed to keep yourself warm and then you don't know when you have fallen sleep.
If you were lazy you would not have come up to school in spite of your fever during the centenary.
Receiving your mail was a pleasant surprise. I have been waiting for it for a long time.
Most of you Sikkim boys have done well in life as you entered life just at the time Sikkim had joined the Indian Union.
I have no respect for politicians as most of them are corrupt but I hope the boys from our school who may have entered public life were much better.
I have mentioned in my last weekly letter that I would like the biographies of all boys who have done well in life so that others may be inspired.
Could you help me in this as Sikkim has done well in this respect.
If you could ask them to write their achievement in the third person, it would be good.
If you could give me their individual email IDs, I could write to them individually.
I am trying to do my part in keeping all the boys updated about each other and the school and also help each other.
How is your family?
I hope all of you are well.
Do keep writing, I Iike receiving your mails.
Yes, I had heard of Ramprasad from SP.
Really sad.

That is life.
Some do well materialistically, some don't.
However, if you live as per your conscience, you are a winner.

RS


Msg from Parthpratim Basu

Dear Sirs,

I am trying to contact one of your batchmate Mr. Nelson Flavien, with whom I had a business relationship as his personal banker.On my return to India after 3 odd years I realiezed that he has changed his erstwhile phone nos. and address as well.

I would be most obliged, if any one amongst you has the same and can forward the details to any 1 of my email ids:

partho5150@yahoo.com
simplythr@gmail.com

Thanking you in advance.

Regards,

Parthapratim Basu


Hello Partha,

I am pleased to give Nelson's Cell No.: 9831506633.
Glad to be of help.
Cheers,
Radheshyam

No comments: