Thursday, November 19, 2009

Swami Ramdeo and the English Language

Respected Swamiji,
I am an avid follower of your principles and am also fighting my battle on corruption through my two blogs http://blogs.siliconindia.com/Radheshyam and http://goethals1907-2007.blogspot.com/.
I know I am not as effective as you but still I believe in those principles and continue my efforts.
I am unable to join your Bharat Swabhiman movement as there are certain things which I do not agree with you.
I watched your this morning’s programme on “Aastha Channel”, which I usually do every morning while doing my pranayam.
I noticed that you are mixing up The English who ruled India with the English Language.
A language is a medium of communication between people. It is not to be connected to any race. English may have been introduced in India by the English but it has now become as much an Indian language as any other Indian language. It is the most spoken and understood in India after Hindi.
Hindi may not be understood in some states but English will be understood in all states.
When you suggest that people should not use English you are indirectly suggesting that they should be using Hindi. This means the people of the non-Hindi speaking states will be at a disadvantage vis-à-vis the Hindi speaking states. Those states will not allow this advantage. We are seeing the reactions from Maharashtra, Gujarat, Andhra, Kerala Tamil Nadu, Karnataka, Orissa, Bengal and the states of the north east.
English is an International language and all parents want their children to read in English medium schools and no amount of canvassing from your end is going to reverse the trend. It is better if you accept this fact for the unity of India for this one point of yours is going create division and not everybody will join the Bharat Swabhiman movement.
My mother tongue is Marwari and I know how to read, write and speak Hindi, Bengali, and English. However, I do not care to join your movement just for this one point. Unless I support all your points whole-heartedly, I cannot participate. And I can assure you that there are lakhs like me who disagree with you on this point.
This is a topic raised by the north Indian politicians so that they will be at a advantage with respect to the others who do not speak Hindi. People should be allowed to speak, read and write in whatever language they like. Nothing should be imposed by anybody. When you impose, you have reactions like is happening is Maharashtra and what earlier happened in Tamil Nadu.
Hence, I would request you to desist from dividing India on language. We already have sufficient divisions.
Use corruption, health and welfare to unite India against the corrupt politicians and don’t fall prey to the language controversy.
Yours respectfully,

Radheshyam Sharma


I am a regular fan of Swami Ramdeo's Pranayam and Bharat Swabhiman movement for fighting corruption which is aired daily through Aastha Channel.
However, after watching Swamiji's programme in the morning yesterday I couldn't but help myself from writng to him for his critical references to the English Language.
He, and all Hindi speaking politicians should realize that English is the neutral language through which Indians can communicate with each other.
Hindi will always be suspect in the eyes of the non-Hindi speaking public as it gives an unfair advantage to those who speak the language over the non-speakers.
With English, everybody is equal and everybody has to start from scratch.
If we use building terminolgy, Hindi can be considered the brick, other India Languages as sand and English as the cement which will bind all together.
A brick wall cannot stand only on sand.
You have to use cement to make it stand.
Let English be the cement for a united India.
Let all schools teach, regional language, Hindi and English.
Hindi speaking states should be asked to learn one non-Hindi regional language since they already know Hindi.

3 comments:

Bill Chapman said...

As an outsider I won't comment on Hindi or the place of English in your society. However, I would make a plea for the learning of Esperanto for use with the wider world.

My School - I wish said...

Bill, Now you have bowled me.
Esperanto is completely unknown in India. You must tell me its advantages and why you recommend it.
As it is we Indians already have 22 recognized languages :
1. Assamese

2. Bengali

3. Bodo

4. Dogri

5. Gujarati

6. Hindi

7. Kannada

8. Kashmiri

9. Konkani

10. Maithili

11. Malayalam

12. Manipuri

13. Marathi

14. Nepali

15. Oriya

16. Punjabi

17. Sanskrit

18. Santhali

19. Sindhi

20. Tamil

21. Telugu

22. Urdu

You will note English is not in the list of recognized languages although everything is done in English.
We like to behave like ostriches.
I wouldn't want to muddle and confuse the issue by adding Esperanto

INDRANIL AICH said...

Baba ramdeo should concentrate on his yoga which indeed is good for health but joining politics is not his cup of tea. In fact his suggesting to go for Hindi is a mandate to walk 5 steps backwards in the global scenario.Iwork a lot with the chinese industry and they are ahead of us in all aspects except English which puts India ahead of all in the global scenario. You are very right English is as much Indian as Hindi. Adopting Jyoti basu's funda of shunning English has cost the state of Bengal heavily and put it in a pity position in the Indian scenario. Infact , Nehru's move to make Hindi the national language was carefully crafted by Prof. Suniti chattoraj who showed calculations that 52% of Indians speak Hindi and to make up the percentage and achieve the pass marks he added Gujrati as Hindi speaking zone. Without Gujrati it was coming to 48% .This 4% grace marks provided by Prof Chattoraj earned him the crown of National professor the very next year !!! Many dont know of this suave move made by Nehru!!
Offlate Baba has been talking a bit loose as the law goes when volume increases density decreases mass being constant.
THE gravity of his words are decreasing by such foolish talk.