Saturday, November 15, 2008

Msgs from Old Boys 46

Msg from Br. Manuel

Dear Radheshyam,

Thanks for all the updates you have been sending about Goethals. I am Br. Manuel presently the principal of Our Lady Of Salvation school in Mumbai. I had studied in Goethals in 1975 -76 when I was in Mount Carmel Kurseong. Br. Morrow was our principal when I was in school. I then went to St. Edmunds College in Shillong to complete my degree. From 1983-85 I spent three years teaching in Goethals. I taught class 7 when I was there.

I was very happy to be present for the centenary celebrations of GMS. I have visited the school a few times since I have left. It was lovely to have met a number of classmates and ex-students at the centenary. I have also been present at the get-togethers of the ex students in Mumbai. It was very encouraging to see so many from Goethals doing very well and settled in Mumbai. I am looking forward to the get=together on the 29th of November.
God Bless you,
Br. Manuel

9.11.2008

Msg from David Phillips

Hi Radheshyam,
In case I have never mentioned it before, always love receiving your reports on life in India especially where it concerns ex GMS, also good to see the the people from the other Hill schools can use it and maybe find some mates from their time back at their ‘Old Establishments’. Before I go, have got to ask you to pass onto any current Calcutta/Kolkutta established old GMS boys, if any of them can supply a recipee for an ‘Indian Bread’ that was hawked thoroug the city in the early hours before breakfast, the spelling I have may be inaccurate but the sound should be the same it was called ‘BARKULKHANI’? Todat no ex Cal person has been able to locate a recipee in any Indian cookbook to hand!
Keep up the wonderful news, regard and best wishes to you and all your readers.
Regards,

Dave Phillips
Batch 1954-1960
25, Hume Place ;Mt. Colah ;NSW 2079

Msg from Jimmy Keir

Dear All,

Do you know if there is a DVD available on the GMS Centenary celebrations? ?Some " Old Goats" are asking.

Will Sikkim, Nepal or Bhutan be putting on the next celebration? ?When?

Are there any improvements in the school as a result of our meeting with the Management?

Any info. would be appreciated.

Jimmy


Dear Ranjan,

There will be a good demand for the centenary CD, people have been regularly enquiring of it.
Could you arrange more of these?
Then in this Saturday's mail I could ask the people who want to send in their names.
We will send the CDs to one central place in each country.
Others could then collect from there
The logistics could be discussed.

Radheshyam


Boys, I have been informed by Ranjan that any body who wants the centenary CD should contact him . He is interacting with Kurseong to supply it to everybody who wants it,
Ranjan Guha Majumder
CE-163, Salt Lake,
Sector-1, Kolkata - 700 064
Phones : +91-33-23373569 & +91-3340047219
Mobiles : 9433381303 & 9433036869
Mail ID's : technog@airtelmail.in
ranjan.guha@yahoo.co.in
rgm@miscot.com


Msg from Pradeep Mohan

Dear Radheshyam

It was indeed a pleasure meeting you and your wife at the GMS meet.
I wish we can meet more often In future as and when possible.
It is only thru you that I could come In contact with
so many GMS boys and more so from my 1971 batch many of whom I met after 38 years.
I am indeed extremely grateful to you.

I request you to kindly send a copy of the photos taken by you at the meet and also let me know thecost which I have to reimburse and also the list of the boys who attended the meet.
I hope I am notputting too much of trouble on you and look forward to your weekly emails as usual.

regards

Pradeep Kumar Mohan
6b Saklat Place, 2nd floor,
Kolkata - 700 072, India
ph: +91 33 32522779
fax: +91 33 22127609
mob: +91 09339720748
EMAIL: pradeepkmohan@hotmail.com


Dear Pradeep,

Thanks for your mail.
It was very nice meeting you and all the other boys.
All the photographs I took have already been put on our blog http://goethals1907-2007.blogspot.com/ I put them on the blog the same evening. If you click on the link you will go to the blog.
Do you still want me to send you the photographs or would you like to have them printed yourself? If so, let me know the # of the photograph.
The list, I will get from Ranjan and put it on my weekly mail on Saturday.
Then everybody can know.
We are planning a picnic soon, as Ranjan informs.
We shall meet then.

Cheers,

Radheshyam


Msg from Ashley Milne

Dear Mr Sharma,

My name is Ashley Milne, and I am an "old" ex - Goethalite. (1951 ) Matt Lobo forwarded my email address to you and you have kindly been sending me weekly news messages. I have received message No. 42 and No.44 but no signs of No. 43. I have received no others since then and I was wondering whether you have ceased sending these weekly messages as I am sure they must take a lot of your time. If you have forwarded these messages then I would imagine that my computer is on the blink, in which case I will have to get an expert to give it an overhaul, as I am just able to switch it on, type a few lines, send the email and then switch it off. My computer knowledge is very limited.

I look forward to hearing from and would offer my apologies for any inconvenience caused.

Best Regards,

Ashley Milne


Dear Ashley,

You are very much my senior. I joined in 1955.
It is good to write directly to you. Its always a pleasure to write to the "oldies"
I have your mail ID and have been sending out messages regularly to you too.
Msg upto 45 went out last week.
If any msg bounces more than two successive weeks then
I remove the address from my mailing list.
There has been no bounces from your mail box as I keep a record of all bounces.
The fault as you pointed out is probably in your computer.
There is nothing to be ashamed at lack of knowledge in any subject.
You can always learn.
I am lucky as I have my son who has taught me the basics.
Of course, I had to give him the scope to learn by buying a computer at home.
We all have to help each other in life, that is how the world moves on and God does what He wants. All through us.
Sometimes the mail box becomes full but then too the msg
bounces and informs that mail box is full.
I am resending the msg 43 and 45.
I hope you are accessing our blog also.
I have just come to know that boys are just reading the mails without accessing the blog. The blog complements the mails.
If you click on the link http://goethals1907-2007.blogspot.com/
you will go directly to the blog.
You can then save the link in your "Favourites" or "Bookmark"

Warm regards

Radheshyam


Dear Radheshyam,

Very many thanks for your prompt reply and am delighted to receive the weekly message Nos 43 and 45. I can only assume that my computer must have had a " bad ", day because I now seem to be getting an awful lot of messages, mainly junk mail which thank goodness I do not see, as these are siphoned into my junk mail section and I delete them immediately. My only query is, that I exchange emails with a few ex- goethalites in Canada and Australia and I correspond with a couple of friends in England, yet I get emails from all over the world, in many languages offering me various services, which I have not requested. I just do not understand how these people have got hold of my email address. I am told by friends that there are a number of people, all over the world, who try out various combinations, in the hope that they strike lucky.

Yes, I do access the blog and I have read a lot of interesting stuff. The piece about the Gorkhaland is very interesting for the simple reason most of my education was in Kalimpong and Kurseong and I was also for a little while in Shillong. It seems that changes could be coming in the Darjeeling area, which no doubt would affect Kurseong, and my only is hope that GMS and the lads are not adversely affected. Did you say you started in GMS in 1955 ? When I was there ( makes me feel ancient ) Br.H.B.Dineen was headmaster and Br. T.P. Fitzpatrick ( who is now in Naini Tal ) was our class teacher and games master as well. Happy days.

Sorry to bore you with my reminiscing but I thank you once again for all your help and and sincerely hope and pray that things do improve.
Look after yourself and hope all the family are keeping well.

Warm regards,

Ashley.


Dear Ashley,

The useless mails you get are spams.
They are not always your fault.
They get your mail ID from your friends computer by putting malwares. I have explained that in one of our earlier postings.
Many times they send you a message as if it is coming from one of your friends when actually it doesn't come from your friend.
If you click the link it will enter your computer and farm all the mail ID's in you computer and send mails to the addresses as if it is coming from you.
Never, click any message inviting you to join any group.
Just delete those invitations.
If you want to confirm, send a mail to the friend asking him if he has sent an invitation. Most probably it will be NO.
I get these msgs from China and Korea.
Br. Dineen was there when I was there also. So was Br. Fitzpatrick.
He was the Principal when I joined Goethals in 1955.
We never got to confirm the tale that he had killed a goal keeper with his penalty kick and thereafter used to take left legged free kicks.
Yes, reminiscing is what we do in the reunions.
It is always a pleasure living in the past especially if it is pleasurable.
As time passes, we tend to forget the pains and remember only the pleasures.

Do look after yourself. And do pranayams. It will keep you in good health.

Warm regards

Radheshyam


Reply to SITUATIONS WANTED

Hello Radheshyam.....always a pleasure reading yr emails.

I have called Dwai and left him a message regarding a position with
Sunlife.

Thanks for the great work you do with keeping all ex Goats connected.

Shome Chaurasia
Senior Associate Manager
9050 Yonge Street, Suite 500
Richmond Hill
(905) 886-2200 ext 380

Dear Mr. Sharma,
Received your request and CVs. The kind of work applied for would certainly find a larger range of prospective employers in a large metro-areas of Canada and the US. Here in the Mid West and Iowa, businesses tend to be conservative and regional. However, I will try and circulate the CVs and if anything comes up, I will be glad to let you know.
Best to the family.
Viraj.

No comments: