Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Arjun Gerad Kaul - 1981

I have received this from our Alumni in Delhi.
I think, what they have started is a good idea and any good
idea should be encouraged.
I am therefore posting it on our blog under a new heading
so that all our boys can access it whenever required

Radheshyam


Dear All,

My Name is Arjun Gerard Kaul , I was in GMS for a short stint ,
ie 1978 -1981 . I completed my ICSE from GMS .
I completed my ICSE from Goethals in 1981 , and then
moved to St Columba's Delhi to do my ISC .
I then graduated from St Stephens College ,
and then studied at IRMA .

Though I was trained in rural management , I think
in the history or IRMA I was the only student who
could not get a job in a voluntary agency ,
hence i joined HPCL , an organisation run by NDDB .
After a short stint in HPCL , I joined Max India .

I left India in 1996 and since then have been living
in Hongkong . In 2007 I moved to china and have finally
settled down in Guangzhou

I work for a Dubai based consumer electronics company,
called Elekta and head there sub contracting operation
in the Far East .


What Goethals Meant to me

To be honest at different times in life I have had
different feelings/opinions about my schooling in goethals ,
and St Columba's , however , today when I look back I can
realise the difference.

GMS taught me some basic principles in life
a)To start with we lead a very regimented life in GMS ,
woke up 5.45 am , then rushed down to change .
Guess all of you will recall the schedule ,
eating meals at fixed times .


b) A sense of loyalty
. After Goethals I studied in Columba's and did find
this missing , however over the years when I interacted
with others I realised that in GMS we developed a bonding .
Translating this into today 's scenario I feel we are more
loyal to the organisation we work in , rather than hopping .
C Being honest and upfront in ones' work ..
Today when I look back , my principals were Br O Brien
in Goethals and Br Pinto in Columbas . I recall being canned
by Br O Brien once and being called to his office twice ,
once for failing Hindi , this was in class 7 or 8,
Br.O Brien looked me in my eye and I could not look back,
so he said u need to be honest to yourself and do not hide
from reality . Honestly, at that time i did not understand
what he said , but today I do understand the meaning of his words .

D) Do not hurt people .... ., I do recall an incident in
school about this which has made an impact on me

e) A spirit of caring for others , or rather a caring attitude .

f) Learning to stand up to mistakes .. GMS taught us to stand
up to everything we did , even if it was wrong and admit our
mistake .. this is something which has really helped me till date .

Well there was one thing that GMS did not teach us ,
was to be Street Smart , in GMS we led a rather sheltered life .
Till today I cannot say if it was good or bad .

No comments: