Saturday, October 25, 2008

GMS: Sports

When I went to attend the centenary celebration last November, I was astounded to learn that hockey and cricket had been removed from the sports curriculum of the school. Only football was played. All of us, who had played in the school team in those games were really stunned. When these games are being played in other schools, what could be the reason for removing them from the sports curriculum is beyond my understanding. If the school management thinks playing those games disturbs the studies of the students then how could students during my period and earlier excel both in sports and studies ? Br. Bedoe himself hailed during the period I was in school, in fact he was one year junior. He should know. The school had produced finest of hockey players. I myself played hockey in the Calcutta First Division League. During that time A.K.Gazi also played in the same league. I also participated in cricket. I remember taking my College football team to Kurseong and Darjeeling to participate in friendly matches. The College team lost to Goethals. Thondup was witness to that, I think. This participation did not disturb my studies. I would request the school management to reconsider in reintroducing hockey and cricket in the school. I think the school students are craving to play them.

No comments: