Sunday, December 14, 2008

Woes of North Easterners

I give below a report published in the Times of India, New Delhi, today :
Gurgaon: Two girls working in a BPO were allegedly beaten up by their landlord, his son and servant in the early hours of Saturday in Sikandarpur, DLF Phase I. The girls, who are from Manipur, had taken their flat on rent only two days back.
A spokesperson for North-East Support Centre and Helpline alleged that they had also been molested.
The two were taken to Sriram Hospital after they called their community members and sought their help. While one of the girls is said to be severely injured in a leg and back, the other has received injuries in her hand.
The police said that the girls had not mentioned any sexual assault in the written complaint and that's why a case under Sections 452, 323 and 506, relating to forceful entry and threat to life, was registered against the accused in the DLF Phase I police station. So far, there has been no arrest in the case though. Sumit Kumar, ACP, East, said, "in their complaint, the girls have said that around 2.30 am on Saturday, three persons who were drunk entered the flat of the victims forcefully and beat them up. They did not say they were sexually assaulted, but if they level such charge, we will register a case and take action against the accused".
Madhu Chandran, spokesperson of the north-east helpline for Delhi and NCR said the girls were too embarrassed to speak to the cops about their molestation but they had told the helpline about it.
He alleged that despite repeated pleas, the police did not register a case under the Prevention of Atrocity against SC/ST Act, 1995. The girls belong to a tribal community.
"Ever since our helpline has been responding to such victims, the number of of such cases of assault has gone down. This case has been reported after a gap of 10 months and we will fight to make sure that the culprits are punished in a way that it proves to be a deterrent," he added.
I have posted the above report to point out one of the reasons for the anti-India reactions shown by the people of the North Eastern states, Viz. Manipur, Nagaland, Mizoram, Meghalaya and Arunachal Pradesh. They are forced to form a society for their protection in their own country. What a tragedy !
I'm in Delhi for the last 2 and a half years and every now then there are reports of students and working people from the North Eastern states being harassed in colleges, universities, on roads and in their flats as in the above report. Are these people from another country ? They are also Indians. I just don't understand what the Delhiites think of themselves.
I find most of the Delhiites uncultured. They lack sense of decency and are loud-mouthed. I'm sorry if I've hurt anybody but after living here for more than two years I've realised it.
About two years ago, when I had gone to Kolkata, as I was still in service, my daughter-in-law rang me up. She appeared very agitated. She said that one of the neighbours had dumped her belongings in the unoccupied room without her permission and she had objected to it. But the landlord sided with the neighbour as he saw nothing wrong in it as the room was lying vacant. I talked to him and he said it was only for two days and the goods would be removed. As I could do nothing about it from a thousand miles away, I told my daughter-in-law to accept it for the moment. The landlord said it was their custom. What a custom ! When I came to Delhi after my retirement, I asked the landlord what type of custom do you have in letting in strangers into your room without your permission. Do you permit anybody ? You're having a vacant room on the third floor, will you allow me to occupy it ? He said, no. I said, why not ? It's lying vacant and it is your custom for an outsider to occupy such a room without seeking your permission. You're going back on your own words. If you have an objection now, then why did you not support my daughter-in-law when she objected ? Is it because she was alone in the house and an outsider ? I told him that my daughter-in-law was perfectly right when she objected and they could not have done anything if she had thrown out all the goods on the road. The neighbour should have had the minimum courtesy in seeking her permission before putting the articles, whatever they were, into the room. Then she would not have objected.
I had visited Manipur and Nagaland in 1978. I had to obtain an Innerland permit to go to Manipur, which is initially given for three days only. If I wanted to extend my stay (with valid reasons) for a further period, I was required to contact their related office. In Manipur I was treated as an Indian i.e. outsider. The same in Nagaland, Meghalaya, Mizoram. At Imphal, I went to purchase some fruits from a Bihari vendor. The price was exorbitant. I asked him why he was charging so much, double the actual rate. Then he told me quietly that the local Manipuris will pay half for what they purchase, so he has doubled it. If he charges the actual price, he'll lose money, because they'll pay only half.
The students and working people , mostly ladies, from the North Eastern states are tormented in Delhi at every step. The North East Support Centre and Helpline was formed just to protect these people from their own countrymen. What a pity ! What impression will they take back when they return to their states ? This will only force them to become the staunchest supporters of anti-India agitation. The Delhi police and the Delhi government have not taken any step in mitigating this evil. No person has so far been arrested and punished. This inaction will not bode good for the unity of nation.

1 comment:

My School - I wish said...

Delhi being the capital of India, it leads for all the wrong reasons. Be it molestation, rape, murder of ladies, thuggery. You name it, Delhi leads.
I sincerely wish that the terrorists who attacked parliament had succeeded.