Saturday, May 3, 2008

Messages from old Boys 20

I just received this photograph from Sir, Mr. Lobo.
It was worth adding to our blog immediately.
Radheshyam


MISSION ACCOMPLISHED ?
Yes it is priceless! Perhaps Reagan was more astute than most of us thought

"A moment I've been dreading. George brought his ne're-do-well son around this morning and asked me to find the kid a job. Not the political one who lives in Florida; the one who hangs around here all the time looking shiftless. This so-called kid is already almost 40 and has never had a real job. Maybe I'll call Kinsley over at The New Republic and see if they'll hire him as a contributing editor or something. That looks like easy work."

From the REAGAN DIARIES: this entry is dated May 17, 1986.


Msg from Viraj Thacker
Dear Viraj,
I too look forward to meeting you.
Regards

Radheshyam

Dear Mr. Sharma,
I hope this note finds you well. You must have noticed my brief silence on "cyberspace" over the last two weeks. I have been airborne for sometime now and I am writing to you from Kathmandu! I am here at the invitation of some private investors who are interested in setting up an international institute of management, governance and politics. A very exciting venture and should things fall in place, I would be travelling to India-Nepal on a regular basis!
I will be in Calcutta on the 7th of May and will call you. I look forward to meeting you.
Warm Regards,
Viraj.


Msg from Willy Wu

Hi Radhesh,

Constantly looking at the numbers on your stock exchange
can cloud your aging brain. Lets inject some refreshing
pictures of our wonderful world filled with beautiful living
things, and help bring out a smile to those around us.

Today, we live inside of microchips with a million paths,
opening and closing every nanoseconds. What's worse,
someone is pushing the buttons.


Willy.

Msg from Ralph Reeves

Hello Ralph,
Thanks for your mail.
Yes, Willy is the same Willy you spoke to. He wanted the names of the other boys who were living in Toronto.
So I sent all the ID's I had, marking copies to all the boys so that if they were interested, they could meet.
I am just acting as a facilitator so that old friends who have been to the same school can meet away from home.
Your should try to meet Safiul also.
It has become hot in Calcutta and this type of weather will continue up to the 10th June. The monsoon comes to W Bengal around that time. In between there may be a few showers now and then but generally it will be stifling hot.
Today, we are having a May Day holiday.
I am sitting in front of my computer, as usual.
Everything else is fine.
When is your ship coming to India?

Radheshyam


Hello Radhesh,
Thanks for the message. Thoroughly enjoyed the python swallowing the kangaroo. Ain't that something??
The Willy you were referring to was not Willy Wu was it? He lives close to me here and I might just call him again. I had a long chat with him and my batch mate Chap Sun Pon (CS). Now he goes as Steve here in Canada. He wants us to get together sometime. Sure when I get off this ship for vacation in June 15th. He wanted Marc Sayce' email address so I gave it to him.
About Richard Johnson suggestion, I am not quite ready for yet. So I might just dwell on the idea for now.
Thanks again for keeping us Goethalites (I prefer this to Goats too) together in mind and spirit. A few do not want to keep in touch but that’s their prerogative.
Take care and be safe. It must be hot in Kolkata now eh?
Ralph


Msgs from Karma Tobgay

Dear Karma,

I have slightly modified the list and am sending it back.
Could you add their contact details like Tel / Cell Nos and E mail ID's if they have it.
The family details may be left out.
One thing I note.
No boys from Sikkim went to Goethals after 1985. Why?
Just an academic question. seeing that the list is only up to 1985.

Radheshyam


Dear Radheshyam,
Sending u list of ex Goats in Sikkim. Regs K.S.Tobgay


Hi,
Will get back on this at the earliest. Regs K.S.
Hello Karma,

Hi Karma
I know all well-wishers of Goethals will accept Richard's idea since it is good and I also know that the Sikkim Chapter which did a great job during the centenary will also be active in this too.
We presently have five authors in our blog.
If you could suggest the name of a person from your chapter who could be active in our blog writing, we could also include his name. I had Basant Lam in my mind, if he could find the time.
Then all articles / cartoons could be posted on the blog for everyone to view. Others could send by E mail whatever they would like to contribute to any of the other blog authors for posting.
We would have to leave it to the discretion of the authors as what should be posted.
We try to avoid contentious and divisive issues.
Over a period of time when sufficient matter has collected on our blog an editorial committee could be formed to vet the articles and select those, which would be worth printing.
This is just my suggestion.
We could discuss it amongst ourselves.

Radheshyam

Hi,
I'm sold to Richards idea of having a book with contributory articles from ex goethalites . From Sikkim there will be full support, we have some good writers and also a good cartoonist. Lets go ahead and see this proposal crystallize. Regs K.S. Tobgay


Msg from Bishan Dewan

Radheshyam,
Thanks for your mail and the opportunity to contribute to our blog. I’ve already registered and will try and contribute stuff.
Rome wasn’t built in a day, so let’s give the lads some time and persuade and prod them to join the ‘fun’. I will try with my
mates.
Regards,
Bishan


Hello Bishan,
What you have said is very true.
It is also my complaint.
I am trying to draw out the post "70's boys but have not been very successful.
We have got blogg authors from Australia(2 nos), USA (1 nos), India ,myself so far.
All of us are from the 60's batches.
Why don't you also start writing in our blog.
With your writing, I am sure it will draw out more of the 70's boys.
I am extending an invitation to you officially through our blog.
Hope you will accept. It will benefit our blogg.
I will guide you in posting, if you already do not have the knowledge.
Cheers,

Radheshyam


Hi Radheshyam,
Thanks for your regular emails and updates. The GMS blog at
http://goethals1907-2007.blogspot.com/ is indeed interesting and the
occasional photos that are posted in it are gems. However, most of the stuff
most of the time is from the 60s or 80s, strangely my 'band of brothers' who
passed out in 1970 are rather quiet. It's either they aren't aware of your
efforts or probably because we have our own 'closed' email group which is
pretty busy!

The Class of ISC70 was probably the largest single class group to gather
during the Centenary in November. We were about 18 strong and were moving
around the school in quite a large 'gang'.
I've copied this email to our group and also attached your 'Personal Detail
Form' which I hope they all consider filling and submitting to you.

Richard Johnson's idea for 'Passing the Baton' is good. Having read his
article, I understand, this idea was mooted before the Centenary
Celebrations. Is this idea being raised again? If so, then I think it is a
worthwhile project and should involve all ex-boys. I'm sure amongst all of
us ex-boys we certainly would have enough experiences and lessons that we
could pass on to the present or future generation of Goethalites.

Bishan

Msg from Keith Hayward







Dear Keith,
Sorry for the late reply.
I had got your SMS and also sent back a message but did not try to contact you over phone as it is expensive.
My father always taught me to take care of the Paisa, the Rupees will take care of themselves.
Manju is much better now, thanks. She is now doing pranayam and yoga and is also wearing a belt. I have told her if she does P & Y regularly for six months, the belt will not be required after that.
I do not have Eugene's and Glenn's E-mail ID's. S P's I have but there is no point in writing to him as you will never get a reply and feel discouraged.
Actually all three, A K, D K and SP were in our class but D K dropped down one year because of family problems.
Thanks for the photos.
I'll post them this Saturday.
The trunk brought back memories.
Nowadays you hardly see them trunks. Everybody uses the light VIP suitcases, which go with different brand names in different countries. They break so easily. The trunks were indestructible. I still have mine.
Richard has also sent a class photo of the "63 class.
The faces now come back but the names are missing from the memory.

Bye for now.
Cheers

Radheshyam

Hello Radheshyam,
I hope you and your wife Manju are well. I have a request for a few Email Addresses,(Eugene Roberio SP Chatterjee &Glenn Storey)?I'm sure one of our friends in our class was ether AK or DK Roy & SP Chatterjee was in my brother's class? I might be wrong! My cousin Charles (Hilary) Tresham sent me some photos from our days in Goethals (1954/60) when my Parents came for our mid holidays,(2 weeks)I think around Sep/ Oct .during our Sports. We stayed at Kurseong & Darjeeling. Mum & Dad had Charles &John (Tresham) with us. Can you remember Jacob’s Ladder (sounds right) It had about 1000 steps? On the photo on the back is my Dad(Cap) with us, taken by my Mum .Another with my Mum with us, taken by Dad. My cousin Charles carrying my Trunk 1960 our last year in Goethals (you can just read my name). Just a few more memories.(They might be a bit blurred).Look after your self & family. Regards, Keith.
Msg from Willy Wu

Hello Willy,
I am really happy that Ralph has contacted you.
Ralph has really become busy renewing old friendships.
I am attaching some contact details of our boys in Toronto, Canada.
You could contact them and see if you can get together.

Do let me know the results.

Radheshyam

Hi Radhesh,

Two days ago, I received a phone call from
someone that I never dreamed of talking to.
The caller was Ralph Reeves. He left GMS in
1968 and I left in 1971. So we were never in
the same graduating year, but still that did not
prevented us from making a contact.

This was really wonderful and uplifting to know
that most of us from GMS really care about
finding one of our own kind. I told Ralph that
we should try to meet sometime. Will let you know
when this small reunion takes place.

If there is anyone else in Toronto-Canada, who cares
to meet us please let me know.
Email to :willywcwu@hotmail.com

Willy.

No comments: