Friday, May 9, 2008

Back to '63... with names R.Johnson 9/5/08

Richard Johnson (rjj@deakin.edu.au)

So here we are again folks, revisiting the Senior Cambridge Group of 1963. How many names did you get right?


Front row (seated): M.R. Bhandary, J. Tshering, U. Chanda, A. Roy, Brother Moynahan, S.K. Banerjee, V. Kapur, P. Thomas, B.J. Thapa

Second row (standing): S. Pinto, P. Tshering, D. Dadul, A.K. Biswas, S.N. Bose, S.B Thendup, Sincere apology - I can't remember, T.K. Patnaik, F. Fernandes, M. Shivdasani, G. Storey

Third Row: Sincere apology - I can't remember, L. Keelan, S.K. Neogie, B. Hannah, B.N. Prasad, S. Sarkar, R. Johnson, A.K. Shroff, V. Chatterjee

Back Row: A. Shivdasani, N. Petrie, A.K. Gazi, B.K. Dev Verma, A. Banerjee, N.S. Gurung, M. Dev Verma, R. Pokeeral.

My apologies if I have spelt any of the names incorrectly. I have copied the names from the list I have of “Goethals Memorial School, Senior Cambridge Results, 1963”. Please let me know if I have made a mistake with the names. Sincere apologies to the people who's names I could not recall. I will follow this up with a few comments on some of the folk. For example, I must tell you, I met Mukut Dev Verma at the 07 reunion - back row, standing next to Pokie - He looked a million dollars - slim, fit and as if he could still run a hundred yards in no time flat...

Now, I said I won’t be publishing any results – I told you my results in my last post and I’ll make one more exception and I hope you let me get away with it. Who do you recon got the highest marks? Your best five marks were counted (remember, you scored 1 to 9, with 1 being the best). They are both sitting in the front row: S.K. Banerjee better known as Rajah, Chair of the 2007 Alumnai Core Committee, Makaibari Tea Estate, Kurseong (3, 3, 3, 1, 2=12) and B.J. Thapa (2, 4, 2, 2, 2=12), I’d love to know where he is – I recall a lovely, gentle, unobtrusive person.

On a very sad note: I knew Brian Hannah very well (third row from the front, fourth from the left) – at school and after. Brian passed away in Perth, Western Australia some years ago – sudden… a heart attack took him… A great person, who always managed to stay the 'same Brian' as you see him in that picture - A great Goethalite (R.I.P.).

No comments: