Friday, January 2, 2009

Msgs from Friends

Msg from Gillian Burch, Loreto

Good morning from the Northern Hemisphere, where it's snowing right now and there really is a fire in the fireplace.
It's always interesting to get your emails, a very different perspective on the world from those I normally encounter. Only question is - how did I get on your email list? I'm a Loreto alumna from years ago, but have never had any contact with your school.
Happy holidays to you and your family and all the best wishes for the new year.

Gillian Burch


Hello Gillian,

Thanks for your good wishes for me and my family.
I had sent a general mail wishing everybody on my mailing list.
Now, that we have come to know each other, I wish you and your family, again.
Thanks also for recreating the armosphere.
I'll tell you how you got on my list.
Some time back, we were having a discussion on our blog http://goethals1907-2007.blogspot.com/ on proselytising.
At that time, I had received a mail through my sir, Mr. Lobo, our class teacher from Goethals. His wife, Myrma, had taught in Loreto.
One of her ex-pupils Linda Moronha had sent her views to Myrna.
This was forwarded to me.
Now, since Linda had given her views to all of you, it was only fair that you should get other alternate view.
Hence, you came on my mailing list.
I had asked anybody not interested to inform me if they were not interested in my mails. I am pleased that you appreciate my mails.
They are just a attempt to bring all the hill schools of Darjeeling together.
In case you may not have read our blog, I have added the link above.
You will find many interesting articles.
God bless you and your family.
Best regards

Radheshyam Sharma


Msg from Henry Hulley 1953

Greetings Radheshyam,

I thoroughly enjoy your newsletters even though some times I disagree with you.
What a good tradition you have started and how good are the old boys to keep in touch after all these years.
To answer your question re Santa - In Australia he comes by sleigh pulled by 6 white boomers ( kangaroos ) don`t know about the other southern hemisphere countries. Would love to see snow, closest I have come was at school, perhaps 1951 I`m not sure, when we woke up 1 morning everything was a mass of white as it had hailed overnight. The only boys from my batch that I know about are KKChirimar in Kolkata and Clinton Dickie in the UK, Clinton is very ill at the moment so say a prayer for him all you old boys who may read this.
I enjoy looking at the photos of the school and how it has changed, in my days it was very basic but the spirit is unchanged. I take this opportunity to wish all current and old boys a Very Merry Christmas and a Happy and Prosperous New Year...

Henry Hulley batch of 1953


Msg from Keith Hayward

Hello Radheshyam,

Can you please send me JK Ghosh's Email Address?

If JK sent me an Email(which I never recieved!!)I would have replied.
Was JK in our class? I started in Goethals from 54 to 57. I missed 58,when my older brother Richard shot me in my Left Eye,when we were on holidays(New Years Day 58).

My Cousin Hillary Tresham(Charles)was staying at our house in Hastings when it happened.

I schooled at St.Xaviers(58)I came back in(59/60.(Mum was afraid to send us back to Goethals,because of the 'Chinese Threat' so we finished our Schooling in Le'Martinere Calcutta(61/64) Then we came to England.

Bye for now,

Keith.


Hello Keith,

Yes, JK was in our class.
His e mail ID's are jayantaghosh65@gmail.com ani_ghosh77@yahoo.com.
He was there from 56 to 65, 10 years.
We are getting old and our memories have started fading.

He was good in studies and sports. Many of our boys left after the Chinese aggression as parents were not sure when the school would reopen for we had closed early.
That is happening again now.
With the Gorkhaland agitation boys from the plains have stopped going to Goethals

My son-in-law wanted to send his son but gave up the idea.
Well, bye for now.
Radheshyam


Msg from J K Ghosh

RS,

Thanks for having contacted Keith Hayward for me.
He has sent me a wonderful mail to which I've replied instantly.
He did not receive my earlier mail. It appears I had omitted the dot between his name.
Where is Bruce Wallace ?
He was so happy meeting us at the centenary celebration, I thought he would be more than enthusiastic in making contact with us.

Then Clifton D'Aubney seems to have lost his vigour in making contact with his school buddies after all his expatriation. He hasn't replied to the two mails that I sent him. Anyway, that's his choice, I suppose.
Received a mail from AK.
By the way, I'm having another e-mail address : jayanta_ghosh47@yahoo.com. The one that you had given to Keith was my son's address. The smog has cleared. It is a bit cold today. The temperature must have dropped to 8 or 9 degrees.
Good night.

JK


Msg from Charles Tresham

Hi Rad

SANTA CLAUS
It's Never a good time to write of Santa particularly this Christmas.
While most people in the world would recognise that it may be beyond their wildest dreams to expect JESUS to intervene in the present economic mess we're in, Santa Clause and his team of Secret Santas are offering some borderline companies a real lifeline in the survival game. As a last ditch effort to shore up the economies of some of major World Industrial Nations a plan is being put forward to introduce another 11 Christmases a year so we can spend spend spend our way out of trouble. Makes sense to me and much more enjoyable than watching our houses depreciate and our pensions evaporate!

CRICKET
After dodging the bullets at Mumbai our boys went back for the humbling experience of loosing 8-0 in the one dayers..could have been 10-0. and 2-0 in the test series. Why on earth is Yuvraj chucking pies at our poor captain? How much more can our England Captain (born in SA) take?

Have a very Happy Christmas and, hopefully, a prosperous 2009
.

Letter sent by J K Ghosh to Times of India.

Incidently I swtiched over from Times of India to The Telegraph, just for the trash JK mentions

Sir,

I wish to draw your kind attention to a few drawbacks regarding your newspaper. The Times of India is a popular daily, there's no doubt about that. But it contains far too many articles and pictures (some very vulgar) of movie stars and models. I suggest that you publish a separate paper on movie stars and models which would be purchased by those who are interested in them. To me it is trash.

Instead, I suggest you bring out articles on the developmental works done in various states, as is done in The Hindu. It would increase the awareness of the readers and keep them abreast of what is going on in other states. I'm sure most of your readers would welcome it.

To verify and confirm what I've stated, please publish this mail and seek the opinion of your readers.

Jayanta Ghosh
Rani Bagh, Delhi


Msg sent by John Kingsley

Hi you all, Try this one out. JohnK. This is neat........ Place your mouse at the top of the photo. You will notice it is 6:10 PM. Bring the mouse down slowly over the photo.....Nighttime appears and the lights come on.....at 7:40 PM, it's dark! Photo Technology at its best! Don't hold button down, just move mouse slowly downward over photo.

PS: This does not work on the blog.
I have added it to my weekly mail.


Msg from Karanvir Mehta

Dear Radheshyam,

My very best wishes to you and your family for a very very happy 2009. Hope it will be a better year and you will have better news to give us.

Karan


Msg from Bhaskar Chakravorti, Sudan

My Wish For You
An Abundance of Success
Unlimited Fulfillment
Boundless Joy in 2009
HAPPY NEW YEAR

Bhaskar Chakravorti
Micro Labs Ltd
Sudan



Msg from Ranjan Guha Mazumdar

Wishing all Ex-Goethalites and their families
A VERY HAPPY NEW YEAR
&
PROSPEROUS 2009

Please be informed that the luncheon meeting scheduled for 04-01-09 has been postponed because most boys will be away from Kolkata / Travelling in the early part of January 2008.

The new date has been tentatively fixed for 01-02-09. So please keep yourselves and please do not accaept any appointments / engagements for that day.

We will re-confirm the date once again to you later.

Meanwhile, be HAPPY and KEEP SMILING as all Ex-Goethalites should always do.


Msg from Brian Whiter

Hi Radheshyam

Thanks for bringing the Goethalites together and for the dedicated weekly news. Here's wishing you and your family and friends a happy, healthy, peaceful and prosperous new year ahead.

Kind regards

Brian Whiter


Msg from Salil Misra

Thank you.I reciprocate most heartily.

SALIL


Msg from Akash Kushwani

A very very happy new year to u as well and the entire GMS alumini

Msg from Anshuman Bhardwaj

Hi Sir, Wish u merry christmas & very happy new year ahead

Best RegardsAnshuman Bhardwaj


Msg from Ralph Reeves

Hari Om Bhai Saab!!

Thanks for your good wishes for the Holiday season.
I liked your comparison of Santa and Jesus.
I fully agree with you Radesh.
I had an email from JK Ghosh. I believe your batch from GMS. It was nice talking to him. He sent me some snaps of his granddaughter and is living in Delhi at the present. The lads from around here in Toronto had a second reunion as well but I could not attend as i was working on board the ship. I'm still working and stuck for Christmas. I normally get off for Christmas, but this year we have 5 Chief Engineers down for either medicals or quit, so people like us get screwed. We have recently had 4 snow storms worst since a long time hit us even before the winter season. -28 deg. C temperatures and snow squalls and snow upto 2 feet. In my absence, my wife had to blow the snow off our driveway (300ft) on our tractor. She can't wait for me to get back and finish the job. 3 months of winter, I am sure there will be a lot of snow to blow. I also normally help out with my neighbours driveways too. We all help one another anyway. So let it snow let it snow, let it snow!!! You are lucky to be enjoying the heat rather than the snow. So Radesh, may you and your family have the best Christmas ever, and a Very Happy & prosperous New Year in 2009.

God Bless

Ralph


Msg from Thondup

Dear Chief , This is to wish you and your family A ........................... VERY VERY HAPPY NEW YEAR...... MAY 2009 BLOOM WITH MORE PROSPERITY AND JOY THAN EVER BEFORE Affectionately thondup

No comments: