Thursday, March 12, 2009

Dickie Clinton passes Away

Date: Thursday, March 12, 2009, 4:12 AM

Dear All,

I send this email to you on behalf of Clinton's family, with deep sorrow of the sad loss on the 6th March 2009 of a dear husband, Father and Grandfather - Clinton "Clint" Dickie .

Clinton will be greatly missed and remembered with much love by his family and many friends.

The funeral service will be on

Thursday 26th March - 11:30am at
St. John the Baptist Roman Catholic Church

(01264) 352829
Alexandra Road

The Presbytery

Andover

SP10 3AD

Followed by cremation at

Basingstoke Crematorium
(01256) 398783
Stockbridge Road,
North Waltham,
Basingstoke,
RG25 2BA

Black is optional

Family flowers only please

Enquiries and if you wish, donations for
The Countess of Brecknock Hospice Trust and
Cancer Research
c/o S. & J. Maddocks
Independent Funeral Directors
Station Approach
Andover
SP10 3HN
Tel 01264 355600

Regards,
Lauren Rosemeyer (Clinton's cousin)

On behalf of Eileen, Alison, Glenda, Neil, Paul,

Megan, Helen and Sian


Hello Margaret !
This for the Calcutta-wallahs.
Just came in from Lauren.( Peggy Jude's daughter )
Clinton was an ex-Goethal's boy, and then with Calcutta Measurers
for a good many years. Spoke well of Bro. Fitzpatrick.
Fond memories of his old school.
I saw him 2 yrs. ago when visiting friends in South London.
Regards - Pat.

Lauren,


Our Friend, Pat Peirce has passed on the news of Clinton's demise which came as a shock.

He had written to me in April 2008 (copy below) and I didn't hear much from him but kept including him when I sent messages to ex Goethalites


G'day Matt

Thanks for your e-mail Re Subject: IF.
I got your e-mail address from Henry Hulley.
I do remember you even before you took up teaching at GMS. I do also remember you had a brother Claude who was either in my class or a year junior. I have been kept informed of the changes and progress to the alma mater. I will always be proud of and cherish fond memories of my 8 years at GMS both as a student and an athlete. I have over the years come accross some ex GMS Old Boys.
Here is something for YOUR records :
GMS Sports Day. Thursday 10th. October ,1946.
Team Mountbatten (Gold)
Div.A. Team Captain : H Herft
Div. B. M. Lobo
Div. C. T. Jordan
Div. D. C. Dickie (Best Man)
Div. E. J. Keir
Div. F. P. Fitzgerald
(All the above from the original Programme)
P.S. In 1953 I was also Best man in Div.B having come 1st. in the 100yds.,220yds., and 440 yds. Peter Lewis was Div.A. Best Man and S. Chakravarty was Div.C. Best Man. Neil Alison (R.I.P.) won the 1/2 Mile and GMS beat Victoria in the relay.
Nice to hear from you.
Good Health & Best Regards.

Clint


My sincere condolences to his Family and would you pass on a copy of the Poem " IF " because he was a MAN and had run his distance.

IF.....

IF you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,
If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you,
But make allowance for their doubting too;
If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
Or being lied about, don't deal in lies,
Or being hated, don't give way to hating,
And yet don't look too good, nor talk too wise:
If you can dream - and not make dreams your master;
If you can think - and not make thoughts your aim;
If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
And treat those two impostors just the same;
If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
Or watch the things you gave your life to, broken,
And stoop and build 'em up with worn-out tools:

If you can make one heap of all your winnings
And risk it on one turn of pitch-and-toss,
And lose, and start again at your beginnings
And never breathe a word about your loss;
If you can force your heart and nerve and sinew
To serve your turn long after they are gone,
And so hold on when there is nothing in you
Except the Will which says to them: 'Hold on!'

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
' Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch,
if neither foes nor loving friends can hurt you,
If all men count with you, but none too much;
If you can fill the unforgiving minute
With sixty seconds' worth of distance run,
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!



Matt Lobo
Perth


John Christopher Tresham has sent the following meassage


I have not previously written but an interesting point has come up in connection with Clinton Dickie to whose family I send my sincere condolences. In 1984-86 while an engineer in the UK Civil Service I was posted to the Falklands as part of the Government Team overseeing the new airport project. The main contractors for the airport build were the Laing Mowlem ARC (LMA) consortium. One of their senior Quantity Surveyors was one Clinton Dickie. I wonder if this could be the same Clinton Dickie referred to in your e-mail. It could of course be merely a coincidence. Not being a Quantity Surveyor (I'm a Mechanical and Electrical Engineer) Clinton and I did not engage on a day-to-day basis so I didn't get to know him personally as well as I would otherwise have done.

I therefore did not know that, like me, Clinton was an old Goethals boy. He wouldn't have known this about me either. Judging from people who have written in about Clinton he was slightly before my time. When I joined in 1952 there was at least one Hulley in the school shortly to finish and Matthew Lobo was already on the teaching staff.

Of course we could be talking about a completely different Clinton Dickie, but if not, it just goes to show that from Goethals to the Falklands via the UK we do indeed live in a small world. From the lovely 'blue remembered hills' of our youth in Kurseong via England's 'green and pleasant land' to the remote peat bogs of the Falklands we have travelled a long and sometimes perilous path.

We all react to bereavement in different, highly personal ways but recourse to beautiful poetry can provide comfort in our quiet moments. Mathew's offering of that great poem 'If' (I think by that other old India hand Rudyard Kipling) is a case in point. The following lines from AE Housman have always reminded me of those blue hills of my schooldays.

"Into my heart an air that kills
From yon far country blows:
What are those blue remembered hills,
What spires, what farms are those?

That is the land of lost content,
I see it shining plain,
The happy highways where I went
And cannot come again. "

With respect,


John (Christopher) Tresham 1952-1959

No comments: