Saturday, August 15, 2009

Sharukh's questioning at US airport

Bollywood superstar Shah Rukh Khan on Saturday termed the incident at Newark Airport in the US as "uncalled" for saying the experience made him feel "angry and humiliated".

"I was really hassled at the American Airport because of my name being Khan...The couple of hours of interrogation wanting to know if I know anyone in America while all around people were vouching for me from India and Pakistan sic," the Bollywood superstar said in a statement.

"Only these guys just would not let me through. Finally they allowed me to make a call, which I did and the Indian Consulate helped me through", Khan said.

Shah Rukh Khan, who was on his way to Chicago to attend an Independence Day function was was detained at the Newark Airport and questioned for about two hours before the Indian mission intervened and secured his release.

"It was absolutely was uncalled for I think, me having just finished working there for more than a month...just a couple of weeks ago. They said I have a common name which is causing the delay...checked my bags...I felt angry and humiliated," Khan, who had just finished shooting of his latest movie "My Name is Khan", said.


As an Indian it hurts, the way the USA has treated Sharukh at the Airport where he was detained for more than two hours and questioned.
However, you cannot blame them for being extra cautious with any person having a Muslim sounding name.
If anybody is to blame, it is the Muslim world who is encouraging terrorism.
Sharukh Khan may be a star in India and Pakistan and for the persons of Indian origin who are in the USA.
But for the general public of the USA, he has a similar sounding name to the 6 or 8people who bombed the World Trade Centre.And he might be a person whose intensions may not be entirely good.
They have every right to protect their country.
If the Ex-President of our country could be detained for having a Muslim name, how can Sharukh expect better treatment.
They do not have to cater to any vote bank and so they can take any decision which they think is necessary for the security of their country.
Unlike we Indians, who have to always look over our shoulder to see if what we are saying or doing is acceptable to the minorities.
If the Muslim gentry is worried about the treatment meted out to their fellow people for just having muslim names, they should stop tolerating terrorists and terrorism and isolate the mischief mongers.
As for Ambika Soni's threat of giving the same treatment of US citizens coming to India, I can only laugh and say beggars cannot be chosers.
It is we who rush to the USA and the time has not yet come when the US citizens rush to India.
Maybe at some future date, but not now.

No comments: