Wednesday, August 5, 2009

FAR FROM THE MADDING CROWD

We have many articles in the blog relating to corruption in politics and in public life. The public conscience has to be titilated, there's no doubt about that. We see in the TV footage of prominent people, government officials, policemen taking bribes. They are put behind bars, suspended, sacked and may be given jail sentence. But this has not stopped corruption and never can be stopped. It's a vicious circle. The people who are corrupted are always confident that they'll never be caught. Just like a wife plotting the murder of her husband, which happened recently near our locality. She thought her plan was full proof, but got caught within two days. All these crimes are committed due to greed. When a person is committing a crime, he or she becomes mentally disbalanced. The person's conscience does not function, it shuts out all the good senses, the mind is set on a target, like a horse with covers put on both sides of his eyes so that he is not distracted. Throughout the world we find that more and more young people are taking to crime. The percentage is rising with each passing year. This has become something of a great concern to the administration as well as psychologists and doctors. I don't think anything could be done about this phenomenon if the people's life style is not changed, which is unlikely. The world is moving at a tremendous pace, with trendy cars, dresses, gadgets and what have you. Nobody, who can afford them, is willing to be left behind. And there the problem arises. What about those who cannot afford them ? They're seeing plenty all around them, but unable to touch them. Some of their friends may belong to a family of the plenty. Seeing these, their desire to possess leads them to the path of crime. First they steal, then abduct, then murder. One thing leads to another. In the case of those enjoying life to the full, with all the worldly items at their feet, it is dissatisfaction. The more they have, the more they want. There's no limit to wanting. They have reached a saturation point. And there the criminal activities start, which these people treat as fun. Their fun is others' sorrow. Without remorse.
It's a mad mad world. You open the newspaper, and you'll find news of bomb blast, abduction, bribery, murder, robbery, snatching and so on and so forth. Sometimes I get fed up. I want to leave the city for a calm and quiet place for a week or two to pacify my mind and body. Once or twice a year I go out, mainly to the Himalays. Last year I visited Manimahesh, Chhamba, Khajjiar and Dalhousie. This time it'll be Panch Kedar Yatra. It'll be a three week trip with a trekking of about 110 Kms., excluding Kedarnath. If we go to Kedarnath, it will be 138 Kms. There'll be no newspaper or TV for three weeks. Cellphone will be the only contact with my family. My brother-in-law will be accompanying me, just as he did last year. Well, he's another mountain lover. I've crossed 62 years, so my family is a bit worried about my ability to trek the distance. To convince my family, I've started toning up my body to face the rigors of the road. I'm following Prakash Bhartia's fruit formula, as well as 'Health is Wealth' formula - cinnamon powder and honey. I think I've improved a bit, physically, and am confident that I'll be able to complete the Yatra. I convinced my family that as long as my knees are strong I shall continue to visit the mountains. The Himalayas are the abode of the Gods, where I'll find peace, calmness and beauty. So 'Far from the Madding Crowd' I'll be from 19th Sept to 10th Oct.

No comments: