Monday, August 8, 2011

Lokpal or Jokepal?

The battle against corruption is hotting up.
Yesterday, there was to be a rally by the Organisation
"India Against Corruption" from Sovabazar Metro to
Chowringhee and I was all set to participate.
Unfortunately, the rain gods thought otherwise.
The rally was cancelled and I was left at home,
not twiddling my thumbs, for my computer always keeps me busy.
Instead, I took my two grand children to the local park
Those who feel strongly against the existing corruption
in India could go to the organisation's site
http://www.indiaagainstcorruption.org/,
study its activities and participate in its programmes.
We have all been criticising corruption and have watched
helplessly as these politicians looted our country.
We were looking for a who could lead us through the
encircling gloom. Anna Hazare is providing such a
leadership. We should all join up to strengthen his hands.
When Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi started his fight to
drive the British from India, nobody expected that a frail
man like him would succeed. Of course, seeing the present lot
of corrupt leaders, I have my doubts whether he did
the correct thing.
Let us assume that he did the correct thing and the
present leaders are an aberration, a leprosy sore which
we have to remove. We cannot let the patient die.
We cannot let India die.
Hence, through whatever means possible. let the present
lot of corrupt leaders know that what they are doing is
just eye wash to fool the people.
Heavens will not fall if a prime minister has to resign.
We have had vacuums when J L Nehru, Lal Bahdur Shastri,
Indira Gandhi, Rajeev Gandhi died while they were in
office and there was a smooth changeover.
First of all, why appoint a prime minister who will
have to face such charges.Atal Bihari Vajpai and the present
incumbent, Manmohan Singh were willing to include their
names but their corrupt party men did not allow them.
It is for people who become PMs by default, like
Chandrashekar who have to fear.
Don't expect any of the political parties to oppose this
bill as they are all brothers-in-arm in looting the country
except perhaps the CPM. In spite of my always being against
the CPM, I recognize, they are perhaps the least corrupt of the lot.
On Facebook, I noticed that Debasish Lahiri, wanted to start
LTS or WER4U to do some social work.
It is a good suggestion.
However, I would suggest that this is a more vital project
for all of us presently, DRIVING OUT CORRUPTION from India.
It would help the poor also as they would get the money
allotted to them by the government instead of being looted
by middlemen and government officials.
I would suggest we all lend a helping hand to Anna.

No comments: