Sunday, August 21, 2011

I am the Middle Class

Recently the media and politicians have been saying derisively that this agitation of Anna Hazare is being led by the middle class.
Who is the middle class?

I am middle class if

I work in the government and am not in a position where I get good bribes
I work in the private sector and am not in the upper management.
I work in the non-organised sector, no matter in what post
I run a small shop
I earn just enough to manage my household expenses.
I do not own a house or flat or have to take a loan to buy a flat.
I own a house but have to keep tenants to run my life.
I have to take a loan to put my children through professional education.
I have to take a loan to get my daughter married.
I can't afford a car and have to take a loan to buy one.
I can just afford a two wheeler
I have to take public transport to office.
I can't afford a holiday to any of the hill stations or sea side resort.
I can't afford treatment at a private hospital without health insurance.

The middle class has always been at the receiving end of all the atrocities of the government.
Government employees are covered by DA where any inflation is taken care of in their salaries. Further, every five years, their salaries increase through wage commission awards. Where do the others go.? They are the most affected by corruption. And yet government employees are the most corrupt. They are not satisfied with their salaries.

The big industrialist can pass on any inflation increase to us and we have to bear it.

We cannot go out half naked like the adivasis and the BPL people because we have our own middle class mentality of keeping outward dignity intact.

We have been bearing all these insults silently all these years, waiting for a Masiha who could deliver us from these corrupt politicians. We have found such a person in Anna and have to support him.
We have no choice for if we miss this chance we may not get it for another 100 years.

No comments: