Sunday, September 14, 2008

My Teachers

Whenever we talk of teachers all the teachers who have taught me pass through my mind like a movie.
My first teacher was a Brahmin pandit in Bangla Desh, we called him Maithili Maharaj. He taught us the tables in Hindi.
My second teacher was a Muslim person, Chunnu Mullick. He put the fear of maths in my mind.
I went then to Goethals and had a series of teacher. Mrs. Ackoy(Sister Irene), Mrs P Roy, Mr Mackenzie, Sir.,Mr. Lobo, Bro. Foran, Bro Hughes, Bro. Morrow.
Sir and Bro Morrow removed the fear of maths which Chunnu Mullick had instilled in me.
Naturally both of them have left their indelible marks on my mind and heart.
So, when I read of any good things said about teachers, these two immediately come to my mind.
The following quotes by different people from Rex Barker is what I mean.


I never did very well in math—I could never seem to persuade the teacher that I hadn't meant my answers literally.
- Calvin Trillin

I like a teacher who gives you something to take home to think about besides homework.
- Lily Tomlin

You know how to tell if the teacher is hung over? . . . Movie Day.
- Jay Mohr

Modern cynics and skeptics...see no harm in paying those to whom they entrust the minds of their children a smaller wage than is paid to those to whom they entrust the care of their plumbing.
- John F. Kennedy

A teacher who is attempting to teach without inspiring the pupil with a desire to learn is hammering on cold iron.
- Horace Mann

When you teach your son, you teach your son's son.
- The Talmud

A teacher affects eternity; he can never tell where his influence stops.
- Henry Brooks Adams

Teachers, I believe, are the most responsible and important members of society because their professional efforts affect the fate of the earth.
- Helen Caldicott

Better than a thousand days of diligent study is one day with a great teacher.
- Japanese proverb

Anyone who stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty. Anyone who keeps learning stays young.
- Anonymous

Education is light, lack of it darkness.
- Russian proverb

Tell me and I'll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I'll understand.
- Chinese Proverb

You are rewarding a teacher poorly if you remain always a pupil.
- Friedrich Nietzsche

As long as teachers give tests, there will always be prayer in schools.
- Anonymous

My education was dismal. I went to a series of schools for mentally disturbed teachers.
- Woody Allen

No comments: