Friday, April 18, 2008

My nomination for the No.1 Goethals Alumni ticket holder… 2008-04-18

From: Richard Johnson

In a previous contribution to this Blog, I talked about people I remembered and the large numbers I unfortunately don’t recall. However, there is one Goethalite we all remember and love – Matthew Lobo, or as Basant still says ‘Sir’. He is the epitome of all that is represented in our GMS Anthem.


My brother was in class with him, finishing their S.C. together in 1949. I have an original copy of this photograph with everyone’s signature on the back. The great thing is that we can all recognise Matt. My brother (Maurice) is in the Front row fourth from the left – he was unfortunately very unwell for a major part of his life and died several years ago. There’s a young Bro. Fitzpatrick –it was great to see him fit and well at the reunion (below).



For most of us, Matthew Lobo was the star at the reunion. Everyone remembered him and wanted to have a few moments of his time. He is the only one I know who spans a few continuous generations at Goethals.


I remember him as one I could identify with – a mentor whom I would like to be like. He was the sort of teacher who you could ask to write in your Autograph Book:
He had and still has the ability to inspire. I still regard him as a mentor and I consider myself tremendously fortunate to be able to ring him occasionally – just for a chat.


Here’s a picture I took of him in the reunion march-past.
Sincere – a true believer…
I remember his humanity and I am still inspired by his social conscience and his work to help others.












I have had the pleasure of meeting his ‘perfect match’ –Myrna (in the picture above with Matt, Rajah and KK). She is a great person in her own right but also a pillar of support and with sufficient generosity to have a husband so loved by so many.
Cheers Matt and Myrna – God Bless… keep well…

1 comment:

My School - I wish said...

Yes, Richard, you have put it very well.
He is a towering personality and yet he is so humble. He merges himself so well with his surroundings that anybody meeting him for the first times feels he has known him for ages.
He is truly a man for all seasons, bringing out the good in whomsoever he comes in contact.
Recently we were blessed with his presence at our home for three days. My wife is always asking about him, how he is? Any news about him. This inspite of the language barrier. Sir, hardly speaks Hindi and my wife hardly speaks English.
We had him for only one year in Goethals. Some of our class boys were wondering how much better off we would have been if we had him for three years.
Our class will always bow in respect and gratitude to him.

Radheshyam