Saturday, March 29, 2008

Msgs from Old Boys 15



Msg from Dr. Viraj P Thacker

Dear Mr. Sharma,
I hope this note finds you well. Just wanted to let you know that I’ve enjoyed your “GMS Blogspot” immensely; the exchanges between old Goats and the accounts of the Centenary have been most heartwarming! I recently received a wonderful letter from Brother Fitzpatrick and learnt that the whole affair was superbly orchestrated –wonderful stuff!
I was in India in June’06 and made it back to St. Paul’s and GMS after 25 years! Cherished nostalgia and a pilgrimage of sorts.
I hope to travel to India at the end of April and will spend time in Calcutta and Darjeeling.
Attached is a family shot and one from my visit to Darjeeling in 2006 (with Rector David Howard at SP).
Warmest Regards,
Viraj P. Thacker.
Goethalite’ 1981
Paulite’ 1984
Dr. Viraj P. Thacker
International Relations/Public Policy
Ph.D. (Adelaide, Australia)
M.S. (Iowa State, USA), B.A. (Luther, USA)
1411 Tracy Lane, Iowa City, IA 52240, USA


Msg from Willy Wu

Hi Radhesh,

Although many of us have left India for so many years,
sometimes you come across some pictures that really
bring back a flood of old fond memories. The following
pictures will surely bring a smile to reflect that feeling.

Willy Wu
.

P S: His trains have been attached with my weekly E-mail...........RSS

29th March 08

Msg from Thondup Sherpa

Chief

Don't let this discourage you.... you are the only link we have with the rest of the GMS Alimni as well as the warmest part of our past ...so hang on

thondup


Msg from John Tresham

My guess at the slow response or no response is that people are and should be careful about identity fraud which in the UK is quite prevalent. As I'm on your circulation, you have my e-mail address
Keep up the good work.

Regards

John
22.03.08.


Hi sir....
I have a suggestion ...you could post it on goethals community in orkut. The response cud quicken...well you could also send it to:gms_2000@yahoogroups.com....

Msg sent by Keith Hayward to Sir, Mr. Lobo which I have been given permission to post.

Subject: Anglo-Indians & A Sweet Love Affair.

Hello Matt, I received your Emails regarding the above subject.
Absolutely brilliant!
The first (Anglo-Indians) I relate with the people, i.e. (Charles
Tresham (News Editor) (R.I.P), my uncle & my cousins,
father (John & Hillary), as well as Lionel Lamb, who knew my father,
(John Hayward) who owned (Jute Mills) who are my cousins.
Uncle, Lionel should also remember my Mum (Blossom Hayward) & Aunty
(Violet Tresham) both are sisters and Burmese. There were 8 sisters.
(Ne,Popen) & 5 brothers .
Lionel should also remember a Journalist named Frank Rice.
Matt, do you have Lionel Lamb's Email ID & address.
Richard, John, Hillary & I would love to be in touch.
When we were back home for School Holidays from Goethals (2 & 1/2 months) we used to go there to Dad's Office or to Uncle Charles's at the Statesman.
Matt, did you know Lionel from Calcutta?
Mahoum's in the New Market (A Sweet Love Affair) also relates.
So many memories!
Santi Vyse related to (Sue &John).
Vyse, whose Father was the Principal at
La Martinere College Calcutta (Boys) now in Perth?
Matt, do you know them? Most of our friends are all in Perth!
I hear Richard rang you. Good for him, Keep him in touch.
Bye for now.

Affectionately,

Keith.



Manish Anand
25.03.08


Msg from Marc Sayce

Hello Marc,
If you see our blog post of 8th March, you will see your photograph with the 1964 hockey team.
You should recognize all the other players in the photograph. I am sure glad I have been able to rekindle memories.
There are quite a few of our boys in Australia.
I'll welcome any old photographs you can send by mail to post on our blog.
Do keep writing.

Radheshyam
24.03.08


Radheshyam,

I am not sure if we ever met, I have been reading with interest your news letters and I guess it has prompted me to at the very least as a matter of courtesy to drop you a note and thank you for keeping us old and not so old GMS boys informed of what is happening to each other.

To introduce myself, my brother Steven and I joined Goethals in 1961 - and departed in October 1967 to immigrate to Australia. As I am sure every ex-Goethals student will attest to it was a wonderful part of our lives. I was fortunate to be there for one of the days of the Centennial Celebrations with my daughters - who later stated that they would not have missed it for the world. They had as good a time as I did.

Once again many thanks for keeping us informed - and hope the attached document is useful to you - I will at a later stage send you some old photographs that I took in the 60's and will send you a copy.
Kind regards,

Marc,


Msg from Raj Bose

Good day Mr. Sharma

Please find my details for your kind perusal



Thank you
Best regards

Raj Kumar Bose


Msg from Ralph Reeves

Hello Ralph,

Sorry to hear of the demise of your friend.
We are all now reaching that age when gradually we will be passing to the other world, some early some late.
We should all make the best use of the life God has given us.
I stay only 6 Km from the airport.
My address being:
188, Bangur Avenue, B-Block, Kolkata - 700055
Cell: +91 9331259878
Landline: +91 33 25740583.
Do come home when you come to Kolkata.
We shall be expecting you.
Best regards

Radheshyam


Hi Radheshyam,
I am attaching my details as requested in the form you sent me. Hope you are well and it's not too hot in Cal. My close friend Saroj Kumar Samantha from Maharaja Nanda Kumar Road died recently. He was my roommate for 4 out of the 5 years when studying for my Bachelors Degree in Mechanical Engineering. A great guy and I miss him dearly. Anyway, I was in touch with his family and the next time I come to Cal, I would like to visit you, so please give me your address & phone number or a way by which I can reach a contact list to find your details.
My best regards,
Ralph


Msg from Prakash Bhartia

I'll try that. Normally I just fill in these forms and when I try getting out, the computer asks if I want to save the changes. I click yes and then I forward this. But no problem. I'll try it differently and make sure it is populated.

Prakash


Hello Prakash,
Thank you for your good wishes.
I too hope you and your family are all well. God normally takes care of the good people.
The data you sent has come as blank. Of course I should not be teaching you but probably you did not save the data you had entered in the form in a separate file. I have been teaching my Class VIII teacher quite a lot about the computer.
After filling it, it should be saved in a different file and that file should then be attached with your email.

Best regards

Radheshyam


Hope this finds you well and in good spirits. I finally filled out the form. Hope it helps. Keep up the good work. Let me know if there is something I can do to help

Prakash


Msg from Merrill Smith

Thanks Merrill,
That explains it.
I was wondering why the poor response.
I will take care of this problem also when we start the interactive Website. Then we will not have depend upon Excel.
Yes, the blog does keep me busy. I am enjoying my semi-retired life.
Cheers
Radheshyam


Hi Radheshyam:
I don't think many people have excel installed on their computers so they are unable to open .xls attachments, as a matter of fact I was unable to open it until I borrowed a copy of excel from a friend of mine & installed it on my computer so I could fill in the form.
I enjoy reading your blogs & it must keep you pretty busy writing it. Keep up the good work.
Cheers
Merrill Smith.
from Ontario Canada
23.03.08

No comments: