Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Follow-up of Centenary Activity

Dear Goethalites

You will note from the date that Dr Richard Johnson sent this E-mail, that he wanted the Centenary to be more than just a gathering of ex-students.

In theory he made some headway when he conducted a constructive Seminar where small groups, comprised of current Class Ten students and Alumni.

Hopefully many of issues and problems which were addressed and discussed with those in authority at a separate meeting, will be taken up and change will be effected.

Richard will be the person to contact for further feedback and information concerning the salient points that were of concern and that needed action.

Matt
25.03.2008


16th August, 2007

Dear Basant,

I would like to put forward a suggested activity to the Core Committee for their consideration. I am sure your committee has been inundated with suggestions and ideas already and I would fully understand if you have things planned and my idea does not see the 'light of day'.

My first year in Goethals was 1957 - little would I have thought then that I would be returning in 2007! This reflection has started me thinking- What could someone from 1907 have passed on to me all those years ago that may have helped me in my journey?

It seems to me that the reunion is a great opportunity for us 'old boys' to pass something on to the current generation of Goethalites. I have visualised this idea as passing a baton in a relay (graphic attached). For me, a relay is a good metaphor for a reunion - it illustrates that we are all recipients of benefits from the school community passed on to us by the School, the Christian Brothers, teachers, other students etc. But the relay metaphor also gives us the responsibility to be prepared to pass something on to the current generation of students.

So, I am suggesting a brief activity for the Core Committee to consider (obviously Brother Beddoe's approval would be the key here as it brings together current students with the 'old boys') where in an hour or so we oldies could pass on our experiences to the current students.

It would be unfortunate if we believe that the only experiences worth passing on are success stories - stories of the 'great old goats' who played in Olympic teams and excelled through peak performances. We should acknowledge that everyone has something worth passing on, a few words on - experiences/lessons/wisdom/faith/survival/healing/family Š

The logistics of how this may be done may be varied. Here are a few suggestions and I must say that I am willing to expand on any of these and even play an active role in facilitating the process if that is requested.

o Actual baton may be used and all old boys be invited to pass on a written message to a current student. The message could be placed in the hollow of a baton made of bamboo and passed on to individual students in a 'ceremony'.
o This could also be a session (in the hall) where individuals or small groups of students have the opportunity to meet with 'old boys'.

It would be important to make the exchange, whatever form it takes, not threatening and inclusive, that is allowing all 'old boys' to contribute if they wish. The option should be there for not everyone to take part. I would again stress that I am not suggesting that we focus on 'success stories' defined as peak experiences in sport or some other select field but on life stories based on our experiences that we all share - of survival, coping with challenges, successes, family, healing, faith, relationships Š

I hope I don't sound presumptuous - the Core Committee may well have all this in hand - I just thought I'd make a tentative suggestion. My main concern is that the current students gain something from this landmark occasion when so many ex-Goethalites from all over the world congregate.

Thank you and the committee for the great work you are doing. I look forward to the reunion.

Regards

Richard

--

Dr Richard Johnson
Faculty of Education
Deakin University
221 Burwood Highway
Burwood 3125
Victoria, Australia
Phone: 30 92446438


My reply to Richard with copies to Brother Beddoe, Principal, and Mr Basant Lama, Centenary Member.

Hi ! Richard


I like the idea that you propose i.e. "we should acknowledge that everyone has something worth passing on, a few words on - experiences/lessons/wisdom/faith/survival/healing/family "

The concept is good, however I don't think the exchange of a one on one baton changing with a written message would go down well.
Perhaps, as you suggest, a short one hour GROUP session which could take the format of a "Greet & Meet" where questions from both sides cover the points you have expressed.

This could be recorded on Video/Audio, edited and copies made to attendees at a small cost.
I strongly recommend, because of your expertise in this field, that you participate and chair the event if it is to come about, because of time constraints and monitoring reciprocal participation.


Omnia Bene Facere
Matt

No comments: