Saturday, March 15, 2008

Messages from Old Boys 13

Msgs from Avijit Roy Re: Saibal’s request

Thanks Avijit,
Atul Chaturvedi and R K Singhi have already offered to help and I have forwarded their letters to Saibal.
Regards
Radheshyam

HI Radheshyam,
This is Avijit Roy from 1969 batch. I do receive your e-mails and read each and every one of them with a lot of interest.
I am in total agreement with you on this point of helping each other. I second your appeal to anyone who can help Saibal Basu. I wish someone would come up with a helping hand.
Regards,

Avijit Roy.


Msg from Saibal Basu

Excellent idea. I will do that
Thanks again
Saibal



No Saibal,
I did not pull their names from the Alumni database.
I had put your problem to all our boys in Kolkata.
I received replies from these two who offered their help.
Even if presently it is OK, since these two have offered to help, I would suggest you to drop a line or two to both of them
Radheshyam

Thank you for providing the two references. Both the names sound familiar to me. Since I passed my ICSE in November 1982 they were a few years senior to me. Are they (Singhi & Chaturvedi) both familiar with the nature of my request or did you pull their names from the Alumni database.

Right now everything seems to be going fine with my promoter but in the recent past he was pushing me into the ‘weeds’. Should a problem arise in the future (and we are not done yet) I would like consulting with somebody who is in this industry and who can provide me an unbiased opinion/suggestion


Hello Saibal

We have received the following offer from two of our boys. We should get more offers

lemme know the building name and the promoter. I will try and help

Atul Chaturved (1980)
Kolkata, India
atulchat@yahoo.com


IF the name and address of the promoter can be shared then may be we find if any one knows him.

R.K.Singhi (1979)
rksinghi@yahoo.co.uk

Could you give more details as asked and specify your problems, I think help should be at hand.

I am still going to office 3 times a week, Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays.
The balance days I am with my computer doing online trading in shares and updating our blog.

Radheshyam

Thanks for your prompt reply.
I have made a purchase of a flat in Kolkata. It is in the New Ballygunje area. The flat is still under construction thru a loan from ICICI bank.
Since I live outside the country and this is the first time buying a home in India I am not sure of the various formalities and paperwork involved. I am relying on the 'honesty' of my promoter which as you pointed out is perhaps an oxymoron. I am unable to decide how much of the advise I am receiving from the promoter is genuine and whether my interests are being adequately protected. If you need to deal with a 'criminal' better have one on my side. Hence my request for info. Like many people say here - We have a moron as the President but at least he is our moron!
So far, my wife is winning the schooling question. However, I do want to take both my sons (now 10 years and 18 months) to Goethals next time we visit India. Maybe a tour through my old school will make an impression.
Hope everything is going well with you.
Warm regards
Saibal

Hello Saibal,
Presently I do not think any of our boys are in that line.
Just as a politician's profession is dirty so also is the promoter' s. life filled with crime. I don't think any of our boys would follow that calling.
However, I'll try to find out and help you.
Are you having problem with an existing purchase or are you yet to decide on some purchase?
I hope you and your family are well.
Have you decided on your son, boarding or day school?
If you would have brought them to the centenary celebrations, they would all have chosen boarding school.
Radheshyam


Mr. Sharma

I was wondering since you are so much in touch with ex-Goethalites etc. thru your blog and maybe an interactive web-site in the future, would you be able to provide me with contact information about an ex-Goethalites who is a promoter/developer or in that line of business.

I am having some problems with the purchase of a flat in Kolkata so I thought maybe you or an ex-goethalites could help..

Thanks

Saibal Basu
1982 batch

Msg from Arjun Mohinta

Thanks for your kind invitation, sir. Will definitely call you up and come one of these days. Will call before coming.

Regards,

Arjun


Hello Arjun,
Yes, I have received your form.
Who are the other boys of 1996 batch? I do not seem to have received their forms.
Why don't you come to my home so that we can get to know each other?
You can bring your friends also.
I live at 188, Bangur Avenue, B-Block, Kolkata - 700 055 with my family.
My Cell no is 9331259878.
I am normally free and at home on Tuesdays, Thursdays, Saturdays and Sundays.
On the other three days I go to office.
At my age I prefer to take it easy.
Our group of 5 boys of 1965 batch are having a small get together at the house of one of our boys at Dum Dum, Nager Bazar on the 16th.
For a bigger get-together. we'll have to find an occasion.
Lets see and talk to the other boys.
Do come.

Radheshyam

Hello Sir,

Your interest and enthusiasm in keeping the school spirit alive is awesome. Cheers to you!! I'm Arjun Mohinta from the batch of '96. I mailed you my Personal Data form a few days back, hope you received it. I'm in Cal for 2 weeks till 24th Mar. Am also in touch with 2 of my GMS classmates who are also working in Cal. In case you are planning a get-together or something till that time, please do let me know.

Thanks,
Arjun

Msg from Ralph Reeves

Thanks Radheshyam,
Appreciate the reply and I have written to Thondup. Another to add to my list of contacts. It is growing.
Keep up the good work. I had gone to a website by typing <> and a few photos came up, one of which I still have with me. This is with Ian Mason, Michael Rodrigues, Sunil Dikshit and Manual D'Gama in the background. It was great to see that. It was the time when I was in Cambridge(last year ) studying for the final exams. You know how it was walking across the third or fourth fields cramming Shakespeare etc etc for the finals. I just love reminiscing those days.
Anyway, you take care and we will talk to you soon
.

Hi Ralph,

Thondup's Email ID is drukta11@yahoo.com.
I had given your E mail ID to him and he had sent a message to you.
You may have missed it.
He is waiting for news from you.
Good to hear of Nihar.

Radheshyam

Radheshyam.
Thondup Sherpa is waiting to hear from me. However, I do not have his contact number or email. Please give it to me if you have it or help me trace it from a database of old boys from GMS. It will be a pleasure to talk to him.
Till then keep up the good work Radheshyam. Got in touch with Nihar Sircar. He called me yesterday from BC. He is Chief Engineer with BC Ferries and is quite happy there.
B rgds,
Ralph

Msg from Amrit Narayan
Hi
To be very honest, I have been watching your progress for quite sometime and thus certainly believe that your son does have a point in expanding it to the fullest. At the same time, I would like to express my heartfelt thanks for taking so much pain and efforts for collecting this amount of data.

Well as a System Admin myself, I suggest we get ourselves a domain name registered and then using the ready made blogging applications like phpBB (http://www.phpbb.com/) or vbulletin (http://www.vbulletin.com/) we can get ourselves a better blog

Also, since this will be a blog site which can be a subdomain (ie forums.xyz.com) we can also have a nice master site with a nice picture of our dear old school with details etc and a hyperlink to the blogs so that any visitor can read but only users having log in id's can post.

For the time being, I suggest that you keep a copy of what ever you post on the blog with you as a backup, as there is a good chance of these free blog posts crashing or closing anytime.

Rest, please do let me know if I can be of any help. And if you can make out, yes, I am the younger brother of Lalit Narayan Prasad who has been contributing a lot.

Do let me know

regards

amRit

Msg from Richard Johnson

Dear Richard,
You don't have to be sorry.
In the initial stages there is always some problem. I was fortunate my son was there to help me.
Now I am there to help you.
An invitation had been sent earlier to your E mail address but it seems I did not save it and hence it probably did not go. I have sent it again. Now you should receive it.
You can act on the invitation.
However, you must have a Google account in g mail.
G mail is very good for emails. I have been using it for two years now and only 4% of my mail box is full. With a gmail account you can access all the other google functions like blogs, picasso etc etc. Open this site .https://www.blogger.com/start Use your google User ID and Password to enter the blog.
Then you can write and download pictures and videoclips also by clicking on the icons on top.
Let me know how it goes now.
Regards

Dear Radheshyam,

I am sorry to be a pain... I have tried to post a message with a picture on the blog ... without success! I am able to log in and even respond by putting a comment to messages, but I can't put my own - maybe it is a matter of you giving me permission ... I have attached what I have been trying to upload... Sorry to bother you with this - I would much rather do it myself. Your help would be appreciated.

Regards

Richard


Msg from Bisham Malkani

Hi Bisham,
It will be a pleasure to meet you.
Why don't you come home.
You see I am not much of a partying man. I am a thorough vegetarian and a teetotaller to boot. I suppose I am a misfit in this modern age but I feel satisfied that way.
Mr Lobo was with us for three days and he enjoyed his stay here so you could also come home.
We live just 6 Km from the airport at 188, Bangur Avenue, B-Block, Kolkata - 700055. My Cell no is 9331259878.
I go to office on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays.
The rest of the days I am free.
Just let me know when you can come.
It would be a pleasure to receive you.
On the 16 th, five of us, ie A K Roy, D K Roy, S P Chatterjee, J K Ghosh and I are getting together at D K Roys place, in Nager bazar, near Dum Dum.We are all of the 1965 batch You could also come there and meet more of us.
Do come.
Regards
Radheshyam

Dear Radheshyam,
Thanks for your invitation. I will be passing your area on the 13th or 14th as I have to visit Texmaco and Tractors India Ltd. Pl send me your cell and land line numbers so that I can contact you and see how we can meet up.
Sunday will be impossible as I leave for Vizag...I would have loved to have caught up with the gang. Pl give them my regards.
Regards,
Bisham


Hi Bisham,
It will be a pleasure to meet you.
Why don't you come home.
You see I am not much of a partying man. I am a thorough vegetarian and a teetotaller to boot. I suppose I am a misfit in this modern age but I feel satisfied that way.
Mr Lobo was with us for three days and he enjoyed his stay here so you could also come home.
We live just 6 Km from the airport at 188, Bangur Avenue, B-Block, Kolkata - 700055. My Cell no is 9331259878.
I go to office on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays.
The rest of the days I am free.
Just let me know when you can come.
It would be a pleasure to receive you.
On the 16 th, five of us, ie A K Roy, D K Roy, S P Chatterjee, J K Ghosh and I are getting together at D K Roys place, in Nager bazar, near Dum Dum.We are all of the 1965 batch You could also come there and meet more of us.
Do come.
Regards
Radheshyam

Msg from Keith Hayward

Hello Radheshyam,(1)my suggestion is, most Emails have a letter and attachments for Photos so us people can see and remember each other! Photos from our youth to today. Also SMS or Text Message each other which is instantly for Replies & Conversations. RECIPES shared with others of Interest around the World. Ex. Goethals Family photos of Wives & Children. How many of us from Goethals have met or never met each other again since Leaving India! Even though we live in different Countries of the World, most of us were Born in India. (2) I have a few old photos of my youth; Richard and me aged 6&8(1953) in Hastings Calcutta. With Mum, Dad, me & Richard aged 16&18(1963) in La Martinere College. Sylvia &I in England on our Marriage day(20th Jan.1970).Our 4 Daughters Yvette, Simone, Lindsay &Cassandra with Sylvia. Me &Sylvia to-day (Jan.1st.2008.I think an Interactive Website would be ideal! Just a few ideas. Bye, Keith.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.