Sunday, January 25, 2015

Arvind Kejriwal's reply to the EC notice on asking to take money from BJP/Congress but vote for AAP

The BJP and Congress has taken offense when Arvind Kejriwal asked Delhi voters to take money from them, meaning "the BJP and Congress" but vote for AAP.
They and all other political parties have been doing just that in each every elections but they like to act holy. Something like a prostitute taking offense when called a "randi".
Both the parties had complained to the election commission who sent a notice to Arvind.
Here is the reply Arvind sent to EC. 
The original reply was in Hindi. 
I have translated it in English and may have missed some of the subtle nuances, for which I apologise.
To read the original Hindi reply you could go to http://aamaadmiparty.org/sites/default/files/Reply%20to%20Election%20commission_Show%20Cause%20Notice%2020thJan2015.pdf

To

The Chief Election Commissioner,
The Election Commission of India,
Nirvachan Sadan,
Ashoka Raod, New Delhi.

I have received a notice from the Election Commission.I have been accused  of instigation people to take bribes for casting their votes. This accusation is completely false.

Our party is strictly against bribery.Our party was born out of the necessity to clean the politics of India and remove corruption.

Under the circumstances, I cannot even dream of encouraging anyone to give or take bribes.

We cannot deny the fact that there are many leaders and parties who distribute money and other goodies in lieu of votes. In spite of the efforts of the government, Election Commission and other non-goverment  organistions, this curse has become an intricate part of the politics of our country.

How can this be stopped? 
It is just to stop this menace that we have adopted this method. The true intention of what I wanted to convey in my speeches is this, "Who ever gives you money, take the money, but vote don't vote for the people who give you money. Vote according to your own will. Vote for them who do not give you money."

If you listen to my speeches attentivlely, you will realize that this is my intention. If I said, vote for those who give you maoney, then you could have accused me of inciting people to take money in lieu of votes, but I have said just the opposite. I am saying, don't vote for those who give you money. This way, I am just trying to stop bribery, I am just helping you.

In the last elections to the Delhi Bidhan  Sabha, I had said the same thing. At that time, no one had any objecions. During the course of the Lok Sabha elections, in every speech I made, I had said the same thing and no one had said anything. But now, both the BJP and Congress have filed complaints against me.
Now, why are they having problems?

It is because within one year, the Delhi voters have become wise.
They have decided that they will take money from them but will not vote for them. That is why these parties are worried that their money will go waste.Now these parties have realized that they will not be able to buy votes with money. These parties have realized that bribery will not work in this election. That is why both are worried and frustrated and have filed a complaint against me.

By making this appeal, I have played an important part to stop a dirty tradition in the politics of our country. The media with the connivance of these corrupt parties are distorting the facts and broadcasting to the public.In each speech, I ask the people, "Do the Congress-BJP people come during elections to offer you money?" The people shout in one voice, "Yes, they come." This means that this tradition of giving money in lieu of votes is going on a large scale.

Last year, this appeal had a large hand in breaking this tradition. That is why, these parties are now worried and have complained to you against me.

You will remember that when I became the Chief Minister, I had made a similar appeal to the people to stop bribery. Some people had thought my appeal was very irregular. Some people thought I was encouraging bribery.But you saw that my appeal brought so much fear into the minds of the corrupt employees that during the 49 days, bribery had almost stopped. At that time I had asked the people's help in stopping bribery and now too I am asking the people's help.

Today, I am asking the Delhi voters to take money from all but vote only for those who do not give you money. Some people find my appeal unconventional but this appeal has played an important part in cleaning our politics. The signs are obvious when you see through the frustration of these two parties.

I and my legal team have gone through the legal definition of "bribery".Legally, I cannot be held to have made any appeal to the people to accept bribes.My legal reply to your notice is attached herewith "Annexure A" of this letter.

I have great respect for the Election Commission.I respect our Constitution and law of our country.I will never break any law under any circumstance.If in spite of by above explanations you feel that my appeal was wrong, I will stop making the appeal as long as the MCC is applicable.

However, in case you are not satisfied with my explanations,  I would request a personal hearing so that I can explain my point of view.

No comments: