Friday, December 20, 2013

Don't sign Petitions by Awwaz -Change.org blindly

Dear Radheshyam -

Every time I take the public bus in Bangalore, I face the possibility of harassment. Many women who take the bus are subjected to touching, groping and lewd remarks on a daily basis.

That’s why I started this petition asking Mr. Anjum Parvez, Managing Director, Bangalore Metropolitan Transport Corporation (BMTC), to ensure that women’s helpline numbers are clearly displayed on all the buses.

Displaying the numbers will be the first step in making buses safer for women. A simple step like this will build confidence in women and let them know that they have help at hand in case of trouble.

Mr. Anjum Parvez of BMTC can lead this change. If thousands of us demand action from him, he will have to acknowledge the problem and work on the solution.

Radheshyam, I want to ensure that the buses in Bangalore are safer for women and I need your support to make this happen.

Please sign my petition and forward this email to your friends.

Thank you for taking action,

Amala via Change.org

I was sent the above petition by one Dasarathi Amala for signing and sending to Change.Org.

I have sent her my comments below.

Dear Dasarathi Amala,

I don't know whether this mail will reach since since it has been sent through change.org

I think women have already been given enough power

What is to prevent women from making false complaints.

I personally know of two cases where women have filed false cases of dowry harassment against their husbands and in-laws to extort large sums of money to give divorce.

This has become a business for some women who go on a serial marriage spree followed by divorces just to make money on the extorted sums for giving divorces.

I agree that men to have gone on marriage sprees to cheat women of their jewellery.

I am of the opinion that we have already given too much power to women to harass men.

Let us take a respite and see the result before moving any further.

Some people have already started voicing fears of employing women for fear of being victims of false FIRs.

Best regards,

Radheshyam Sharma

No comments: