Saturday, May 2, 2009

Msgs from Friends 17

Msg from J K Ghosh

Dear RS,

Hope you're keeping good health with all the load-shedding and all. Really pathetic. After over 30 years of governance the Left Front has totally failed in the power sector. How do they expect the industries to flourish without power ? In this respect the Delhi government has almost 100% success. Mrs. Shila Dixit has imposed stringent measures on the electricity board (private) for failure of any kind which has worked wonders. We don't have any load-shedding at all. Even if there is, just for a few minutes, at the most 15 minutes. The electricity board has been kept on its toes.

By the way, I was expecting to see our photos of the get-together at SP's place in the blog. You should have posted them. Why don't you post them now for encouragement ? By the way, my natni's Annaprasan will be held at Madhyamgram on the 28th May. I may not be able to invite all of you personaly, because of time constraint, so please mail me your address so that I can despatch the card. I hope you'll forgive me for this lapse. I shall be extremely happy if you and Manju come to attend the function on the 28th evening. Separate vegetarian dishes will be arranged for vegetarians, so there'll be no problem on that count. So please do come, both of you. Mail me your address by the next mail. AK has already sent his address. Now I have to get DK's and SP's addresses.

It's very hot here but I don't think as bad as in Kolkata, as per the TV news.

Bye for now.
Regards.
JK


Dear JK,

Just saw your message after seeing the chat.
Yes we are having a terrible time.
No industries, yet 6 to 10 hrs of load shedding.
The photographs at SP's place was taken by SP and it is in SP's camera, that is why I couldn't put it on the blog. I didn't get the time to go to SP's place. Let us see.
We will come to your place.
My address is
188 Bangur Avenue,
B - Block,
Kolkata - 700055
My natini is growing up well.
We have bought her a walker. Now she walks about the whole flat, creating problems by disturbing everything.
It is enjoyable having a baby at home.
Bye for now

RS


Msg from Louise Lee

Hi,

I'm Louise Lee old Loreto darj pupil and I've just seen at the bottom of this e-mail that you mention a Jimmy Kier. I think he may have been a friend of my brother Peter Massey. I wonder whether you could ask him whether I have the correct Jimmy Kier and if so I am sure my brother would love to hear from him. Perhaps if it is the right one he could e-mail me and i could put him in touch with Peter. They would have know each other around 1957/58.
Thank you
Louise Lee


Hello Louise,
Pleased to receive your message.
I remember a Massey is school, I forget the first name.
In "57, I was in class 3 in school so he wouldn't be knowing me.
Yes, Jimmy should be knowing your brother.
I have passed on your message to Jimmy.
I hope he should be contacting you
Cheers,

Radheshyam


Dear Louise,

It is a small world indeed made smaller by Radheshyam's news letters. Would love you to put me in touch with Peter.

Jimmy Keir


Dear Jimmy,

Glad to be of help
Happy reunion.

Radheshyam


Msg (CC) from Saiul Huda

John:

Great pictures -- especially the hiking and biking trails. I'd never
bike on that trail. Never. But the hike I wouldn't mind doing. But
those trails [the biking and the hiking] are not named nor are their
respective locations divulged.

Safiul



Msg from John Kingsley.

This was posted earlier also but being important I have put it in my weekly letters.

GOOD INFO EVERYONE SHOULD BE AWARE OF: SEE BELOW.

INFORMATION EVERYONE SHOULD KNOW........................

Blood Clots/Stroke - They Now Have a Fourth Indicator, the Tongue

I will continue to forward this every time it comes around!

STROKE:Remember the 1st Three Letters....S.T.R.

My nurse friend sent this and encouraged me to post it and spread the word.
I agree.

If everyone can remember something this simple, we could save some folks.
Seriously..

Please read:

STROKE IDENTIFICATION:

During a BBQ, a friend stumbled and took a little fall - she assured
everyone that she was fine (they offered to call paramedics) .she said she
had just tripped over a brick because of her new shoes.

They got her cleaned up and got her a new plate of food. While she appeared
a bit shaken up, Ingrid went about enjoying herself the rest of the evening

Ingrid's husband called later telling everyone that his wife had been taken
to the hospital - (at 6:00 PM Ingrid passed away.) She had suffered a
stroke at the BBQ. Had they known how to identify the signs of a stroke,
perhaps Ingrid would be with us today. Some don't die. They end up in a

helpless, hopeless condition instead.

It only takes a minute to read this...

A neurologist says that if he can get to a stroke victim within 3 hours he
can totally reverse the effects of a stroke...totally. He said the trick
was getting a stroke recognized, diagnosed, and then getting the patient
medically cared for within 3 hours, which is tough.

RECOGNIZING A STROKE

Thank God for the sense to remember the '3' steps, STR . Read and Learn!

Sometimes symptoms of a stroke are difficult to identify.
Unfortunately,
the lack of awareness spells disaster. The stroke victim may suffer severe
brain damage when people nearby fail to recognize the symptoms of a stroke.

Now doctors say a bystander can recognize a stroke by asking three simple
questions:

S *Ask the individual to SMILE.

T *Ask the person to TALK and SPEAK A SIMPLE SENTENCE (Coherently) (I.e. It
is sunny out today)

R *Ask him or her to RAISE BOTH ARMS.

If he or she has trouble with ANY ONE of these tasks, call emergency
numberimmediatelyand describe the symptoms to the dispatcher.

New Sign of a Stroke -------- Stick out Your Tongue

NOTE: Another 'sign' of a stroke is this: Ask the person to 'stick' out
his tongue.. If the tongue is 'crooked', if it goes to one side or the
other,that is also an indication of a stroke.

A cardiologist says if everyone who gets this e-mail sends it to 10 people;
you can bet that at least one life will be saved.

I have done my part. Have you?


Msg from Jimmy Keir

Dear Radheshyam,

I run the GLENN FAMILY FOUNDATION completely funded,at the moment, by my friend Owen Glenn. You can find some details by checking our web site < glennfamilyfoundation.org> or google Glenn Family Foundation. While we have done some work in Macau, China , Philippines, Fiji , New Zealand, the thrust of our work is in India in the Kalimpong region.

Our partners in India are the Catholic Sisters of St. Joseph of Cluny. We also have a small effective team under the leadership of Saom Namchu and an office in Kalimpong. They have weekly meetings and submit reports regularly. ?We set up a model village of 70 homes and tackled the problems of water, hygiene and education. We have since completed two more villages and are on track to complete ten others by end 2009. Our aim is 800! We have also provided libraries, computer centers etc. ?GFF has provided a much needed Hospice/ H.I.V. Centre run by the nuns and last January I accompanied Owen at the opening of the Decima ( Owen's Mother) Glenn Hostel for kids rescued from child labour. We feed and clothe the kids in this 100 room hostel while the Clunys take care of their education and well being.

We are setting up a DVD library ranging from cartoons, educational material, classics and what may be of interest to kids of this generation for the hostel as well as the village schools both in English and Hindi. Could you help finding such material using your influence and contacts?! They are very limited in Kalimpong. There must be families that want to get rid of the kid stuff as their children grow older. DVDs bought abroad, I understand, must be compatible to the Indian system. We are also looking for books on Agriculture and Floriculture for our villages. Should this be possible I will provide the address where they could be sent or arrange collection in some cities if the quantities warrant.

GFF would welcome any involvement, big or small. Owen will match $ for $. I can provide details.

Hope this is not too tall an order. ?Our aim is to help educate and improve the lot of our people. Your help will be much appreciated.

Best Regards,

Jimmy


Dear Jimmy,

It is a noble cause and our boys, I know, will be in the forefront to help.
I shall put out the appeal this weekend.

Regards

Radheshyam


Jimmy has been doing very good work for the boys in Phillipines. We had got a few pictures which you may have all seen.
Nearer home, he is also trying to help the people in Kalimpong.
He has sent out an appeal for for help in kind.
If anyone would like to help he could contact Jimmy directly at jimandsan@hotmail.com
We boys from Kolkata should take the lead.
We must all be having DVD which we may be tired of viewing.
We could send these and any new DVDs which would benefit the children.

Radheshyam


Msg from Keith Hayward

I received a message and some photographs titled David Copperfield from Keith Hayward.
At first I did not understand.
But then I read the message in each picture.
I have added the pictures as attachments in my weekly message also
Those whose mails do not bounce can see them.
It is enjoyable. How does he do it?









Radheshyam

No comments: