Saturday, December 15, 2007

Oh God! Deliver Us from These Politicians

I think most of you must have had these encounters if you traveled in a public transport.
A few days ago I was traveling on a bus when a co-traveler came and sat beside me and muttered something.
I looked enquiringly at him. He pointed to one person and repeated softly, “that man is a thief”
I looked at that person and I found that he was trying to open the chain of a bag of a fellow traveler who was standing in front of him.
I was shocked. The bus was quite empty and that man was performing his trick knowing full well that many people would be observing him.
I could not stand the sight and immediately got up and told the man whose bag was being opened to hold his bag carefully.
Immediately, two persons got down from the bus cursing me openly.
I suppose I was being a fool but I had been a victim on two occasions and could not allow that gentleman to suffer the same fate.
I have made inquiries and found that pickpockets have become quite common in Kolkata public transport.
They go about doing their jobs and if anybody dares challenges them they immediately make a sharp gash with a razor blade, which they carry and then get off the bus.
The bus conductors also recognize them but keep mum for they fear the pickpockets will harm them later on.
Sometimes pickpockets are caught.
Then the general public beats them up mercilessly.
At these times the public pour all their previous grievances into the beating remembering the times they were the victims.
It is the police, which come to the rescue of the pickpockets.After all they get a share of the loot.
And when you think of it, what the thief picks is just small pittance compared to what the politicians are looting.
Oh God! When will you deliver us from these corrupt politicians?
They have corrupted the whole system.
I for one would support the Maoist if they limited their violence to this creed and not to the general public who are also sufferers like the Maoists.
When the general public does not get justice and the system persecutes them then they take the law unto themselves.
Just as George Bush did not find any WMD’s in Iraq, our Chief Minister did not find any Maoists in Nandigram.
But I wonder, how many Maoists this adventure of the W Bengal Government has created.

Radheshyam

No comments: