Tuesday, January 21, 2014

AAP - News from Hyderabad

HYDERABAD: With the Aam Aadmi Party ranks swelling by the day in the city, the latest one to sign up is noted lawyer and human rights activist Shafeeq Rahman Mahajir.

"Yes, I have filled up the membership form and submitted it. That was about five days ago," he said.

Mahajir added that he joined AAP because he felt that the philosophy of the party was in sync with the thinking of the common man. Underprivileged and marginalized sections see their own aspirations in AAP. "Since I am eminently suited to be called a common man, I thought I should be part of AAP," he quipped.

The senior lawyer said he has no plans to fight the upcoming elections as they are not his cup of tea. "I cannot afford to suspend my legal practice and devote myself to canvassing. Therefore, there is no question of entering the electoral fray. However, I am there to chip in with my bit of contribution to the party," Mahajir said.

Ramesh Reddy, zonal chief of AAP in Telangana, said he would find out before letting the media know. The response was similar from Arshad Hussain, another functionary. Meanwhile, Ramesh Reddy said the party has been flooded with requests for membership forms. "We have exhausted the forms and are directing people to opt for online membership. In Old City alone, about 20,000 people have joined the party," he said.

Advocate Qawi Abbasi, who was one of the first to join AAP from the Old City, claimed he and his colleagues filled in forms for 700 applicants at Charminar on Thursday. "I think 15,000 people living in the Old City have become AAP members," he said, adding that another noted lawyer and activist Ghulam Rabbani has also become a member of the party.

No comments: