Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Brothers of 1945 to 1950

22.2.2013

all.http://wayback.archive.org/web/20091021021259/http://geocities.com/TheTropics/Cabana/3861/gmspics4.html

Does this provide GMS pics. I am using you as a test bed. If you are not redirected to a brick wall then I will search other sites and do a wider circulation.

Peter.

22.3.2013

Hi All.

Peter Lewis has asked me to forward this to you

Merrill.

23.2.2013

Good presentation.

Mt. Carmel, and the new top floor above the "Box Room" on the 2 nd field, is now used as classrooms for the Edmund Rice Free School for young Nepali girls exposing them to education and vocational training as they are susceptible to be duped into prostitution and human trafficking.

I will be in India early May and expect to call on the Bros. at the GMS on the 10/11 May.

Jimmy

23.2.2013

Jimmy

At GMS, can you get a list of the Brothers there from 1944-1952 (and the classes they taught if possible - but this may be hard or impossible)? Thanks

Rex

23.2.2013

Dear Radhesh,

Trust you are well as we have not heard from you in a while.

My classmate, ( Class of'52), Dr. Rex Agacy, retired Maths Professor , James Cook Uni., Q'land, Aust., asks for a list of Brothers who taught at GMS between 1945-52. Can you help?

I will be passing through Kolkata in May on my way to/from Kalimpong. It is possible that I will have a few hours between flights, Kol- HK, on the 11th May., would you be available for a chat?

Jimmy

24.02.2013

Dear Br. Miranda,

I am forwarding a letter received from one of our boys in Australia.

I am sure we must be having a list of the Brothers who taught in Goethals between 1945 and 1952.

I don't think you would be having the classes they taught in.

Could you please help.

We are all very well in Kolkata although the heat is becoming uncomfortable. Not yet unbearable.

How we miss the cooler climes of our school.

Best regards,

Radheshyam

25.03.2013

Hello Radheshyam,

First, I hope that your cousin is doing well after undergoing such a difficult procedure. Some rest along with some tender love and care should help him get back on his feet again soon.

Thanks for forwarding the link to my “old” GMS site.

I enjoyed starting it up and met many of my classmates and other Goethalites I knew back then. But as the site grew I was unable to keep up with the many emails I recd each day.

I enjoyed going through the pictures reading the brief comments I had jotted down with each picture.

I don’t know how Jimmy was able to retrieve this site.

Thanks again,

John.

1.4.2013

Dear Radheshyam,

Greetings from Goethals.

The Brothers who were in school during the 1940s were : Bro.Baptist Collins, Bro.Brendan Dineen, Bro.Paul Mulcahy, Bro.Danny Burke, Bro.Max Cooney, Bro.Cyprian Roer and Bro.Tom Fitzpatrick. The information was given to me by Bro.O P Gopmez who was a teacher in Goethals during the 1040s and who thereafter joined the Congregation.

With kind regards,

Bro.E.L.Miranda

1.4.2013

Hello Jimmy,

The details asked by Dr. Rex Agacy are given below by Br. Miranda, our present Principal.

I hope it would be useful.

Cheers,

Radheshyam

1.4.2013

Br. Luke, Br. Rock, Br. Packanham, Br. Lynch, Br. Roberts, Br. Vera, Br. Kelly, Br. Hayes and Br. Edmonds are other names I can recall.

Jimmy

1.4.2013

Thanks. I remember Brs. Roc, Pakenham, Lynch, (Shorty) Edmonds. Also I remember Br. Dineen who was Principal for many years, and of course Fitzy (Br Fitzpatrick) whom I think everyone remembers.

Some others I only remember by name: Brs. Luke, Collins, Gomez (he was a long lanky fellow I think). Was there also a Br. Jewel who used to show the movies?

I think Br. Duff was Principal in 1944.

In 1945 we got a new Principal who had all the boys heads completely shaved as there was reputedly lice. We then had to line up in a queue, moving along till we came to the brother, where we bowed our heads and he put kerosene on it, presumably to kill any traces of lice. It was near sports day and when I went for the Puja holidays with my dad and stayed at a hotel, I wore my cap at all meals. Do you remember the event?

A lot of parents complained. I can't remember the Principal's name but he was gone by next year. Rex

1.4.2013

Rex,

One name I left out was Bro. O"Mally. He taught the class one below us and was very fond of his dogs, Spaniels.

Bro. Jewel might be the one we nicknamed " Copper" because of his red hair. I remember Copper because I had to "stand out" in the dom on my first day in school for talking on our way to the Loo on the 2nd Field. We were spared the strap. Actually someone farted and not knowing the word for fart I shouted " Who made a Phad"? (Nepalese for fart)

I believe it was BRo. Collins as Principal who had us all shaved. We looked rather stupid with napkins or hankies covering our heads in case we caught fire!

Bro. Luke was rather ancient when he taught us in 1945. He would fall asleep in class. I only know the name Bro. Duff as I joined GMS a year after you in 1945.

Packie or Bro. Packanaham was not a big man. He walked into the hall one evening while we were all studying beating a large drum strapped to his belly. That is when we first learnt the school song " Cheer for Goethals..." He would go on "strike' if we failed our Catechism. He had a beautiful script hand writing and would challenge us to write like him offering us his Shaffer fountain pen as the prize. Bro. Gomez was in charge of sports on the 3rd. field. To encourage us he produced some of his own trophies. I won one for football.

This takes us all back 60+ years!

All the best,

Jimmy

1 comment:

golfnut said...

Although I have been receiving the news, from this site, for a long time, this is my first contribution - one which I felt compelled to make. It is related to the brothers that were there in 1945, and I wish to specifically single out Bro. Duff.
I first attended GMS in 1937, and graduated with a Senior Cambridge Cert. in Dec. 1945.
During the years 1937 to 1942, I was a poor student, never finishing higher than 20th. in a class of 24, in any of the three annual exams that the school imposed on us. However, although I now hate to say it, my academic performance - or non-performance - never troubled me a bit.
Then, in 1943, the year of my Junior Cambridge, our class got Bro. Duff, then the Principal, as our class teacher. What a turn-around for me. In the first exam series of the year, I finished about midway in the class. In the second, I was about 4th. and in the final, I was first. Thanks to our good fortune, Bro. Duff stayed with our class till we finished our Senior Cambridge, in Dec. 1945. During those last two years I was never other than first in the class.
Let me say, I am not relating this story to brag about my prowess. I simply want to wave the flag for Bro. Duff, as an outstanding teacher. In my case he threw a switch inside of me which changed my whole life.
Forgive the rambling story, but I just had to wave the flag for Bro. Duff who, as I mentioned above, was also the Principal until, and including, 1945.
David La Frenais, Grad. 1945