Monday, March 4, 2013

HCLProducts -Just how bad?

The letter below has been sent by one my school friends.

I have copy/paste it with no alterations.

It seems that HCL is a company which has become famous for marketing sub-standard products which the import from China.

Another friend of mine, J K Ghosh had a similar problem with his lap top and my son too had to scrap his own lap top as the mother board became defective within one year of purchase and the company could not change it.

In their own interest, I would suggest everyone should avoid HCL products like the plague.

Radheshyam
To

The CEO

HCL INFOSYSTEMS LTD

D-233 , SECTOR 63

NOIDA

Dear Sir ,

I am aware that the address above is to your Customer Support Cell but I hope that in view of the fact that what I have to say pertains to your Company's policy in terms of Product Engineering, Marketing & Product Support , the person / executive receiving this message will think twice before sending me a standard Sales-Placating reply and instead forward my complaint up the heirarchy , as they say. Maybe it will even reach your office.

On the 13th of Jan2013 a friend of mine gifted me with one of your products - HCL TABLET ME U1 , SL # 912STN900263. Between then and now I was caught up with my daughter's wedding and it was only about two weeks ago that I got around to "trying" to use the Tablet. The tablet was gifted for three specific purposes , One that I learn to catch up with the New Tech Savvy World . Two that I keep in contact on a more regular bsais with him on the Net and Three that I download items / books that I could read.

The first problem that arose was that despite being charged for more than 48 hrs the Tablet would not charge fully.

Next , and that is the main issue here there are no modems available in the market that are compatible with your product. I know that sounds impossible but then the list of 'dongles' / modems as specified by your Technical support team are as follows :-

TATAFOTON :- EC 152 ; EC 156 ; EC 1261

RELIANCE : - EC 150 ; EC 1262

IDEA NET SETTER : E 1732

Yesterday , 28th Feb , I spent more than 4 hrs and travelled above 30 kms visiting all the major electronic retailers and marts including the Reliance outlet. Then today I travelled another 20 odd kms and wasted 2 hrs to visit the Mall from where the Tablet was purchased and even there none of the above dongles were available. The manager phoned all his contacts - these dongles are NOT available here. Incidentally , I live in Siliguri and for your information , since two of the staff I spoke to in your Tech Support and in the Sales Dept did not know where Siliguri is I feel obliged to inform you that it is in West Bengal , It is the IInd largest City in West Bengal and the major sourcing point for most of the Seven Sister States of North East INDIA. I belabour this point because it serves to emphasise what I have to say next. The nearest compatible dongle was the Reliance MF 190 but that could NOT be used for downloading.

If such an esteemed company like HCL markets a product like the one I have and does not see it fit to even check whether the main accessories are available in the region then is it just a case of an oversight in product engineering or Sales / Marketing Support System. I mean , it's like marketing fruit juice powdered concentrates to a drought hit area or to the Sahara Desert Nomads. Or is it that HCL just is not bothered where and how user-friendly the product is post the purchase ? That does not speak well of a Company which prides itself on its philiosophy as proclaimed by all the high priced commercials we see on prime time TV. Perhaps a little of that promotion budget could be diverted to solving problems for the teeming millions of potential customers here in India. If dongles compatible to your product cannot be sourced in a city like Siliguri then what about the other smaller cities in India , especially the North East ? or does that area NOT figure in your marketing plans ?

To add insult to injury your Tech Support team today informed me that HCL has an appointed Service Station here, Subham Computers. I went there ... I was told to leave the tablet behind since it had to be repaired ... and I haven't even used it !!!! I was told, perhaps in deference to my age and to placate me " If you had brought it within 7 days of purchase it would have been replaced. And such things happen with even HP, Dell. " When I asked how long it would take the reply was " We'll call you " Not a very professional reply. Then I insisted , ' One week , One Month , One Year ?" Fortunately , I met a lot of disgruntled people there - all who had bought your Tablets. That made me feel a little better . Why couldn't your Tech Support staff have told me about the Subham yesterday and saved me the hassle today

Here are some numbers I would like to bring to your attention

a) 1800 22 7080

b) 1800 209 3001

c) 1800 22 3500

The above numbers are the TOLL FREE NUMBERS OF (a) Kellogs (b) Cadburys and (c) Himalayan Water , a mineral water company.

99% of the items / products sold by the above companies have a price range from Rs 5 to Rs 500 at the most , for their normal consumer lots. YET THEY HAVE TOLL FREE NUMBERS. YOUR COMPANY'S PRODUCTS PRICES RANGE ARE ABOVE THE BASE OF RS 1000 AND YET YOU DO NOT HAVE A TOLL FREE NUMBER. I must have spent more than Rs 100 in the last two days speaking to your people. It is not the money I begrudge but the fact that when I unwrap a Cadbury's chocolate and see the toll free number it tell me that the Cadburys cares about its' customers. I leave it to you to draw your own conclusions as to how that compares with HCL.'s policy of pay-to-complain

Finally , your people gave me the name and address of Subham Computers. They gave me the wrong address. The address as per HCL records is Pal Building , Bidhan Market Road. That , Sir is just a hole-in-the wall office. Subham Computers is at 622 Rishi Arvind Road, Behind Pradhan Building , , Hakimpara , Siliguri. Need I say any more ?

Wishing you the best and hoping, as they say in 'babu' english , for your esteemed good wishes and cooperation .

Yours etc

t.t. sherpa

siliguri

cell # 9679999241

cell #8172055520

P.S Today , one of the first gifts that children bring for their aged parents are either a computer , a lap top or , going down the scale a Tablet. Just to get a feel of it and to learn , as the kids tell their parents. HCL would be an excellent product-buy since it fits the price range BUT after my experience the HCL Tab definitely cannot be aid to be learner / User friendly. The last two days have been nothing if not harrowing. As a result I feel it fair to warn all my friends and so that is the reason for the numerous ccs to this mail. Perhaps the sight of the ccs will encourage the receipient of this mail to forward

it to his higher ups instead of just pressing the DELTE tab(let?)... ===========================================================

Dear Guys

Just let me know you all have read this mail ...pleaaseeee because I have so much rage inside me for this major SNAFU that I need to hear you guys say ... cool down. I just need to burn my rage away . I could have understood it if it was a fly-by-night company but then as an Indian and someone who is proud of India's place on the IT atlas this is absolutely shocking .. I mean I can't get over it. How can a company this big , how can a company that is a part of the collage that showcases India be LIKE THISSSSS.

Incidentally for those who are not aware , SNAFU is an American ARMY terminology ..

it means SITUATION NORMAL ALL F***** UP.

affly

drukta / thondup

No comments: