Sunday, September 30, 2012

Old World Charms

When we were at school, we were taught some basic etiquette like

1. Standing in a queue and walking without talking

2. Shutting any running taps.

3. Shutting off lights and fans before leaving a room

4. Opening doors for ladies

5. Paying the proper fare to the conductor even before he asks it.

6. Allowing ladies, children and old men to sit in buses and trams.

The above are all forgotten In the curricula of all government schools with the result that we see their products sit shamelessly on ”ladies” and “senior citizen” marked seats while the ladies and senior citizens keep standing.

So it comes as a surprise when young men and even young girls offer their seats to senior citizens even though those are general seats. I have been offered such graciousness on a number of occasions and had often wanted to record my appreciation. On Friday, I was again offered a seat by a polite young man although he was standing in front of the seat. I thanked him profusely for his offer both while sitting down and also while getting off the bus.

What is it that makes these few exceptions stand out like beacons in this gloom of darkness? Has it got something to do with their education or their bringing up? I exchanged mail ID’s with the young man and asked him to let me know something about himself.

The following is the mail I received from him and I will let you judge whether it makes a difference in the way you brought up. He is presently working in Siemens, that also explains it.

Dear Sir,

I would first like to apologize for delaying in writing this email to you. When you sent the link to your blog on Friday, I started reading it right then. Quite informative and openly spoken, I would say. Usually people start writing blogs and then discontinue (like me - one of my blogs is - http://royrahul11.blogspot.in). It is very inspirational to see that you have patiently continued writing.

It was nice meeting you last Friday on my way to work. I find such meetings very interesting - a way to know more people. And I talked about you at home.

You had asked me for a photograph and a brief write-up about myself. I completed a degree in Engineering (majoring in Information Technology) in 2004 and started working for a Information Technology MNC after that. I made 2 changes in my job after that, and now I work for Siemens. I love writing and reading. Although I love writing, I have almost stopped it. I got married this year and living a happy life, as I wish to consider it every time. I am a wanderer - love traveling and photography. Hope you would remember that I asked you if you would like to go and see places now that you are retired. I like seeing new places, meeting new people. That's briefly about myself. Oh yes, I have a vivid interest about movies, and I am writing this email after watching the movie "The Last King of Scotland".

I am attaching a photograph taken couple of years back at Madame Tussauds museum at New York with Mr. Louis Armstrong's wax figure - I like very much his song "What a wonderful world (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2VCwBzGdPM)".

Hope we will meet again,

Warm regards,

Rahul Roy

No comments: