Monday, May 9, 2011

Doc dupes' patient, removes kidney not stone

AJMER: Close on the heels of the uterus removal case in Dausa, a 25-year-old resident of Keer village in Ajmer was shocked to find that his kidney was allegedly removed by a doctor on the pretext of performing a surgery to remove kidney stone.

The matter came to light when Sukhpal continued to suffer pain in his stomach and finally went to the SMS Hospital for treatment. Here, the doctors conducted a sonography and told him that one of his kidneys was missing'.

The youth alleged he was kept in the dark by the doctor about the operation during the course of a one-and-a-half year treatment.

The additional chief magistrate, on Saturday, ordered the Kotwali police to register a criminal case against Dr Rohit Ajmera, head of urology department at JLN Hospital, and his assistants who were with him during the operation.

Sukhpal is illiterate, and a labourer in the Junia tehsil of Kekeri block of the district. "In 2008, for the first time, I suffered an acute pain in my stomach. I went to a local physician who conducted sonography and found a stone in my kidney. He started the treatment, but after a few months suggested that I should consult the doctors at JLN Hospital," the victim said.

According to the petition, at the JLN hospital, he was suggested to undergo a sonography, and was advised to take a few medicines. However, there was no relief from the pain. "I went to Dr Rohit Ajmera's house on March 28, 2009. He suggested that I should get admitted to the hospital," said Sukhpal.

He alleged that the doctor asked him to undergo a few tests at a private laboratory, following which he would perform a surgery and remove the stone in his right kidney.

"The operation took place on April 2, 2009, and I was in the hospital for another 10 days," he said.

After a few months, the pain resurfaced. Sukhpal went to the doctor's place where he was told that the pain was a result of weakness. "For an year-and-a-half I continued to take medicines, but there was no relief from the pain. My family took me to SMS hospital, Jaipur where the doctor after looking at my sonography reports said that my right kidney is missing," Sukhpal claimed.

Petitioner's counsel Chander Bhan Singh Rathore said by the time the victim tried to retrieve the documents related to the operation, Dr Ajmera had removed' them.

Rathore said, "It is a criminal conspiracy where Dr Ajmera removed the kidney without informing the patient. The sonography of the patient before the operation shows that the kidney was functioning normally."

Meanwhile, Dr Ajmera has denied the charges and said "Most of the time, we have to take the decision on the operation table. I found that the patient's right kidney was damaged. I took the relatives' consent before removing it. I have also notified it in the operation papers and sent the organ for tests in the pathology department of the medical college. The allegations against me are false."


QED.

What I have been saying all along about doctors in northern India, generally.

No comments: