Sunday, January 27, 2008

Messages from Old Boys 6

Msg from N K Sircar
Dear Radheshyam
Thanks for all your messages.
I have just returned to TORONTO, CANADA from Sydney, Australia and New York USA.
Please contact me & keep me posted'
my Toronto phone #s are: 1-416-229-4913, Mo 1-647-839-0614
With Best Wishes

N.K. SIRCAR (Past out ` 1964)


Msg exchanged with Safiul Huda
Safiul,
I was just wondering where you had suddenly vanished like Jeff. Normally you are quite prompt in your replies.
I haven't yet heard from Jeff, any idea where he is?
Yes, I will give you all the help required for the blog.
First of all you will have to have a Google mail account.
I have already sent you an invitation. It will guide you. You have to just fill in some details and chose an E-mail user ID and password.
You have a 6 GB mailbox, so you can go anywhere and not worry of your mailbox overflowing and mails bouncing.
In two years I have just used 3% of my mailbox.
When you send me your G mail ID I will make you a member of our blog.
You may then access the blog account directly from your end and write to your heart's content.
I have found our views are similar; hence, I wanted you to write from the other end of the globe.
I have found that it is better to write down whatever you want to write and then copy and paste it in the blog.
For uploading any pictures, you will find in the blog, a small icon, which says, "add image".
When you click on that you will get a new window.
You click on the browse, and scroll to the file you want to upload and select it
Then you upload the picture file by clicking on the upload button at the bottom left corner.
When the upload is complete, you click on the done button, which will come up.
Your upload is complete.
I hope I have been able to explain lucidly. If you have difficulty feel free to ask.
You can edit by clicking the edit button and view what ever has been written and uploaded by clicking the preview button.
When you are satisfied with what you have posted, you can save and upload it.
Whatever you write is Auto Saved also, in case of power failure etc.
My son has taught me otherwise I too was also having little knowledge of blogs etc.
I am glad Nihar contacted you. I remembered in one of your e-mails you had asked for him and hence I asked him to contact.
We have been able to renew many friendships through the blog.
What a difference technology has made in our lives.
Bye for now as I have to go to office in the morning.
I'll wait for your g-mail ID so that we can go to the next step.
Radheshyam


Radheshyam:

I was on break. And when I am on holiday, I am totally incommunicado
and do no look at my email. Thus the delay in replying. In this
letter, I wish to quickly address 3 things:

1). I would be honored to contribute to your blog. Caveat: I am
virtually computer illiterate. So you must send me instructions as to
how to upload as though you were explaining to a 10-year old.

2.) I owe you a great deal of thanks. I received an email from NK
[N.K. Sircar] whom I have been very, very eager to contact. He said he
got my email address from you. May God bless you

3) From the emails you sent and received I was very surprised indeed
to learn that you had actually lived in Bangladesh till 1965. I am
saddened whenever I hear that a Bengali has had to leave Bangladesh
with a tinge of involuntariness [I hope there was none in your case] in
it. Oh if we could hold them to our hearts and not let them go! Oh if
we could hold them in our midst and laugh and cry together! But I know
that that is wishful thinking. Greed and poverty make people take
advantage of the minority status of our fellow beings.

For whatever it is worth, accept my regrets that you had to quit your
homeland. With apologies to Martin Luther King, I dare to dream: that
one day people will be accepted anywhere in the world for the content
of their character and the goodness of their hearts and not the creed
of their faith or the sound of their names.

Safiul


Hi Saiful,

When I started the blog sometime in September, I intentionally named it
Goethals 1907-2007 as I wanted it to represent the views of the
students of Goethals.
So far I have held the stage and given my solo views with comments
through e-mails from our other friends, which I subsequently posted..
I feel now, after 4 months, it is time to straddle the globe and give
expression to diverse views.
I propose as a start to add views from USA, UK, Middle East, Far East
and Australia.
From the USA, I could not find a better candidate than you.
You do send us your regular E-mails to which we look forward.
Instead of using E-mails, I would suggest that you start using our blog
to express yourself.
Of course, you will have to give some of your valuable time to post yourarticles.
If you agree, I shall make you a member of our blog and then you can
write
directly.
Hope you will agree.
Cheers,

Radheshyam


Msg from Shivatosh Deb re: Rachit’s enquiry

Hi Radheshyam,

Br. Walsh is now living a retired life at GMS.
Many of us had a chance to meet him during the centenary - looks to be in good health.
Incidentally, he was our class teacher for 2 years (1969 batch).

And yes, please continue to send your updates -that’s one thing I really look forward to.
It’s also nice to see what other Goats are up to - although I may not have met many of them .

All the best.

Shivatosh Deb (1969)


Msg from Ralph Reeves re: Rachit’s enquiry

Hello Radheshyam,
Inform Rachit Rai that Bro. Walsh is in GMS. At least he was when I last visited in Dec.2004. Met with Bro Beddoe as well. It was really great getting back to GMS once again and boy! it has changed a lot. Brought back old memories too.
By the way, I am trying to get a hold of Robert Wallace my class mate of '68. I sent him an email but there was no response. I know he is somewhere in Aussie. My regards to Keith Wallace too. Class of '67. Great sportsman. I still keep in touch with Niall Roberts. Nihar Sircar is here in Toronto with me. We sail for the same company in the Great Lakes.
Thanks for the good work Radheshyam
My best regards,
Ralph


Msg from Keith Hayward
Hi Keith,

Keith Wallace was from the '67 batch.
He is the brother of Ian Wallace who was with us. Keith was a very good sportsman and there still are one or two records standing in his name in Goethals. It was good to see him during the centenary.
I have attached a class VIII photo of us in taken in 1962 in my last post of Mr. Lobo
See if you recognize the boys.
I have given below the recipe for Chilly Pickle and Coriander Chutney.
Recipe for Coriander Leaves Chutney.
Items:
Coriander leaves 250 gm
Ginger 25 gm
Green Chilies 3 or 4 pcs as per hotness to taste
Cummins seed 1 tsf (teaspoon full)
Coriander powder ½ tsf
Red chilly powder ¼ tsf
Salt as per taste
Lime Juice of 1 full lime

Mix all the above, except lime in a grinder and grind to a thin paste
Add the limejuice and mix again.
Your Coriander chutney is ready to be served.
You can store it in a fridge for 3 or 4 days.

Recipe for Chilly Pickle

Items:
Green Chilly 250 gm
Mustard seed powder 100 gm
Salt as per taste
Aniseed coarsely ground 1 ½ tsf
Black cumin ½ tsf
Lime juice Juice of 2 or3 whole limes

Mix all the spices and limejuice in a bowl.
Cut all the chilly lengthwise on one side only and remove the seeds inside.
Mix the seeds in the spices, which we had mixed earlier, and fill the mixture in the chilies.
Put all this in a wide mouthed glass bottle and then squeeze another 2 or 3 limejuice over the chilly.
Close the mouth of the bottle and shake the complete bottle thoroughly.
Leave the bottle with mouth closed in the sun for 2 or 3 days.
Your chilly pickle is now ready
Try it out and let me know the result.
I could give you the recipe for Soanpapri but it is very difficult to make.
If you want I can open shop in Australia selling all India sweets but they would not sell as all you people are very health conscious and our sweets contain a very high dose of sugar.
Do continue writing.
It’s always good to receive your mails.

Warm regards

Radheshyam

Hello Radheshyam,

It was good to read the new batch even messages even although I don’t know most of them. The name Keith Wallace sounds familiar is he any relation to Bruce Wallace I’m going to email Keith and see if he knows me. Is there any chance of the recipe for the chili and coriander chutney I have numerous chili trees and some of them are pure dynamite and it would be good to pickle them so they last longer. Do you have a recipe for Sompopry (I know the spelling is wrong) if you read it as I’ve spelt it I think you might know what I’m on about. Anyway that’s all for now,

Hope to hear from you soon,
Best wishes,

Keith


Msg from Dr. Santosh Agarwal

Hello RS
Nice to receive your mails, very interesting and informative, I had also enrolled for the GMS meet but unfortunately stuck in the UK and could not return in spite of all bookings etc, I have not recd the souvenir tie etc, if it can be helped through some of our concerned friends
Thanks keep it up, God Bless
Dr Santosh Agrawal
20.1.2008

No comments: