Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Messages from Old Boys 4

Msg from Adip Kumar Roka, 1974

Wish you and your family a very Happy New Year and thanks for sending
valuable 'sayings' and please send more valuable ideas after all you are
my Senior. Good to hear from our X-GOATS –
Adip Kumar Roka 1974


Msg from Keith Hayword

I am pleased to inform that we were finally able to communicate with each other by SMS i.e Keith & my self………..Radheshyam

Hi Keith,
Thanks for your mail.
No, I do not seem to have received your New Year message on my Cell phone.
Thanks for your good wishes.
For India you will have to enter 0091 for the country code and then my cell no i.e. 9331259878.
Similarly if you ring my residence no you will have to enter 00913325740583.
33 is Calcutta's code.
25740583 is my Tel No.
You can follow this same principle with all nos is all countries.
The country code is preceded with two zeroes.
You do not put any zero in front of area code when dialing from another country.
A zero is put in front of the area code only if you dial within a country.
I have Errol Ackoy's no.
Mails have not bounced from this ID so we must presume it is correct.
Please try it and see. It is the same as you are trying.
ess8148@westnet.com.au
I think he lives in New Zealand.
Happy memories.
Regards
Radheshyam

Hi Radheshyam,
Hope you had a happy Christmas, just a couple of queries i have sent you a couple of messages to your cell phone i was wondering if you have received them it says they have been sent but I am not too convinced of that no one here seems to know what the right code is to txt from Australia to India that was one problem. The other thing is i have sent a couple of emails to Errol Ackoy using email address ess8148@westnet.com.au but again no reply do you know if is the only email address he has i would really like to get in contact with him as we also share some great memories. Here’s hoping you might be able to help,
Best regards,
Keith

Message from Dipak Roy

04.01.2008

Dear Dipak,

Thanks for the photos. I shall put them in our next post.

Upendra is now in Bangalore. He has given his details which were
posted in our earlier post about old boy's messages which he wrote to
Mr. Lobo.He retired as a big shot in WIPRO and is now doing
consultation work in Bangalore..
You are right and your memory is good.
Om was from Chuadanga.
He still lives in Bangladesh and is a big businessman there.
I understand he owns a sugar mill.
I have no idea about Arun Bharani but our blog should locate him
We left Bangladesh in 1965. At that time it was still East Pakistan.
I would request you to have a look at N K Sircar's message.
He passed in 1964.
We should try to help each other in all possible ways , especially
when away from our motherland.
Cheers and regards

Radheshyam


Dear Radheshyam:
Here's a photo taken January '07 in front of BBQ on Park Street, Kolkata. From left to right are: Tripti (my older daughter-in-law), Rajiv (my older son), Kajal, my wife, the 'boss”, myself, Rupa, (Barun's wife), & Barun (also graduated from Goethals 1962). Upendra Mehta was/is a good friend of mine - where is he these days?
Also, there was a guy named Omprakash Agarwalla from Chuadanga (now Bangladesh) who graduated at the same time I did. He used to play the I am asking this because I believe I read somewhere that you are also from Chuadanga!!! Any idea where Arun Bharani is? They used to have a curio store under the Grand Hotel arcade, if I remember. Regards.
Dipak Roy
04.01.2008


Radheshyam:

Here's a photo of Barun & me in Kolkata, 2007. Regards.


I had asked Dipak to send a few recent photos of his since I could not place his face. He has sent the above photos for all of us.

Radheshyam

Dipak Roy
04.01.2008

Dear Radheshyam:

My name is Dipak Roy & I graduated from Goethals in 1962. I have a brother in Kolkata (Barun Roy, Chartered Accountant) whom many of you probably know. He played all sports & was also a star athlete at Goethals. I went to Banaras Hindu University to study Civil Engineering, & have been in the USA with my wife Kajal since 1971. My classmates that I am still in touch with are Roger Storey (Stockton, USA), Willie Wu (Vancouver, Canada), & Dilip Banerjee (Singapore & USA). There is also a 1974 Goethals graduate, Dr. Soumitra Sarkar, M.D. that I am friends with. He lives in Arcadia, California.

On a recent visit to India, Mohan Shivdasani was kind enough to host a small gathering with Leslie Mascarenhas, Arun Shroff, Nelson Flavien, & M.C. Gasper. At a reception in Kolkata, I had met Samir K. Sarker, Anup Daw, N.G. Kar, Bobby Choudhury, & Joe D'Silva. I was happy to find all of them doing so well. I had some email communication with Bobby & also with Mickey Chaudhury in Muscat. I also happened to meet S.N. Bose at the Kolkata airport - luckily he had recognized me!!
I am also in communication with Errol Goves in Australia. Hugh Porter & his wife (Australia), Gordon Storey, wife, daughter, son-in-law (all from England) were also recent visitors that I met with. I was also fortunate enough to meet Andrew Clark shortly before his untimely death in the Bahamas. We had met at Audrey Hipper's (nee Parnham) in San Diego, California, who was from St. Helen's, Kurseong. She's moved to Italy & communicates occasionally.

Thanks for sharing some nice photos with Matt Lobo, Arun Shroff (he gave me a ride from Mohan's house to Maddox Square when in Kolkata), M.C. Gasper, & yourself. Too bad I could not make it to the centenary. I had sent emails to Gasper, but they were returned!! But this blog has brought back many wonderful memories. Mr. Lobo was also my teacher for a short time, but I don't remember the year. Hope to begin communicating with you & see you on our next visit to India. Regards.

Dipak Roy
Diamond Bar, California

No comments: