Saturday, May 19, 2012

High five to fighters on JEE list

- Quintet beat odds at home and beyond to gain medical berth

JHINUK MAZUMDAR

The results of the state JEE have turned the spotlight on five stars who outshone others not just by their ranks on the merit list but by their heroic and successful battles against a slew of odds. Metro salutes the five, all groomed by Al-Ameen Mission (pictures by Anindya Shankar Ray).

Mampi Khatoon

The 19-year-old, the first girl from Harishpur village in Nadia to pass Higher Secondary exams, had to fight poverty and snide remarks from neighbours to rank 304 on the medical merit list. “I passed HS in 2010 and this was my third attempt at cracking the JEE. Some of my neighbours would always tell my parents to get me married as I could not shine in studies. They would also tell me that I could never crack the JEE as I had failed in the first two attempts,” said Mampi, who was groomed for the JEE at the Al-Ameen Mission centre in Howrah’s Khalatpur.

Mampi’s father runs a small grocery store in the village, earning about Rs 2,500 a month. She would be at the shop to help her father during vacation, braving comments like “Stop dreaming” and “Not for you to become a doctor” from customers.

“Their remarks made me angry but I would say nothing. My rank is my answer to them,” said the gritty girl, who wants to become a gynaecologist. “My aunt’s first child was aborted accidentally. Such cases are frequent at our village. I want to stop that.”

Nasir Shaikh

The 17-year-old’s father, Karim, earns Rs 2,000-3,000 a month working in the fields but he was determined to make his son a doctor. When the JEE results were announced on Thursday and Nasir came to know that he had ranked 42 in medical, Karim wept in the joy of having realised the most daring dream he has ever dreamt.

“There were times when my father could not pay the school fee. He would wait for the meagre harvest to be sold to raise money for my studies. He was even ready to sell our land, the only asset we have, but could never brook the thought of me giving up studies,” said Nasir, tutored by the Al-Ameen Mission since he was in Class XI.

The boy from Kalna in Burdwan wants to become a “good doctor” and improve the family’s standard of living. “But whatever I do, I can never equal my father’s contribution.”

Almina Khatoon

The 18-year-old’s family plunged into a financial crisis after her father died of cancer last July. “My father had a garage. The business was not flourishing but we had no trouble having two square meals a day,” said Almina, a resident of Ayodhya village in Hooghly’s Jangipara.

Her brother, three years elder to her, took over the garage after their father’s death. A chunk of their customers had left by then and the family income had plummeted to around Rs 3,000 a month.

Almina had appeared in the JEE last year, too, and ranked 2,380. This year her rank is 463. “I had to get a good rank. Or else I would not get a berth at a decent college,” said Almina, a steely determination in her voice. What kept her going despite the odds? “Abbu had wanted me to become a doctor. His dream fired me.”

Md Rubel Hussain

The Murshidabad boy owes his 49th rank in medical to his brother, a contract labourer now working for a construction firm in Salt Lake.

“My father suffers from a cardiac problem and cannot work. It’s the money my brother Raju, one year my elder, sends home that paid for our needs, including my fee and whatever books I bought,” said Rubel, eyes moist with tears.

Raju studied till Class V but always wanted his younger brother to be educated successful. “He has done so much for me. I can never repay his debt,” said Rubel, eyeing a berth at Calcutta Medical College and Hospital.

Father Altaf Hussain’s biggest worry is how to fund his younger son’s studies. “My elder son has paid the fees so far but I am not sure whether his income is enough for the fees of a medical college. I have heard it’s expensive to become a doctor,” said Hussain.

Sawkat Shaikh

The resident of Jangipur in Murshidabad has ranked 61 in medical. Father Islam Shaikh earns around Rs 4,000 a month, stitching and selling jute bags.

Wasn’t that too little to make ends meet and also pay for the books and school fees. “No”, pat came the reply from father and son together. “Whatever little I earn is enough for us — three of my children, my wife and myself. We did not face any difficulty,” said Islam Shaikh.

Sawkat hopes to get a seat at Calcutta Medical College and Hospital and study cardiology after MBBS.

I normally give so much negative news of my Muslim brothers and sisters that i was overjyed to see this very positive news item.

I would like to congratulate all the boys and girls and Al-Ameen Mission for the good work done.

May this new awakening of these boys and girls herald a fresh impetus to the education of the Muslims without the influence of their narrow minded religious leaders.

God creates all men as equals.

Our politicians divide us by castes, religion and languages for their own narrow ends to build their own bank balances,

No comments: