Monday, July 27, 2009

The Call of the Mountains

The love for the mountains for us ex-Goethalites is everlasting. Whenever I come across hills, mountains and jungles I become so enchanted that I become totally silent as I gaze at them in wonder and longing. After my retirement in January 2007, I visited, in the month of February, Chintpurni, Jwalamukhi, Dharamshala and Kangra. In the month of May-June 2007 I visited Kedarnath and Gangotri, Gomukh. In November of the same year I toured the Kumaon hills for eight days. Nainital, Kausani, Munsiyari, Chaukadi and Binsor. In July-August 2008 I visited Manimahesh where I had to trek 14 kms. to reach the Manimahesh Tal, at a height of 14,000 ft. This was the toughest trek I had done uptill now. The path was very steep and had to camp at two spots while going up and at one spot while coming down. From Manimahesh we went to Chhamba, Khajjiar and Dalhousie.
This year I have plans to do the Panch Kedar Yatra with my brother-in-law, who also accompanied me to Manimahesh. It will actually be Char Kedar Yatra, because we'll not be going to Kedarnath, which we had already visited twice. It'll be a three week trip with a total trekking of 110 Kms. approximately. We'll be leaving Delhi on 19th Sept. and returning on 10th Oct. In December-January I have a plan to make a tour of Madhya Pradesh. Next year may be Leh Ladakh, Arunachal Pradesh, Vaishno Devi or Amarnath. As long as my knees are okay, travelling to the hills and mountains will be my target. For me , fascination for the hills and mountains has not diminished one bit, even after more than four decades. My love for them has been infused in my blood and that love will die only with me.

No comments: