Thursday, July 3, 2008

Alishan Farm - A Goat's Initiative


Dear classy goats,

Hope all of you and your families are keeping well. Some of you are already aware that I have left my job a couple of months back and I am into making the first truly Village Resort in West Bengal in my ancestral hometown in Malbazaar in Dooars (North Bengal). The resort will cater mainly to an up-market clientele both from within the country and overseas. Vikram Verma (ISC70) who is into tourism in a big way has been guiding me, along with Jigme Tenzing (ISC70) and of course Aggie (ISC70) has been very kind to give me some financial support and of course Pradip Lama (ISC70) who is always ready to give some good and correct advice and moral support. I will always be grateful to them for their support. Thank you guys.I had initially proposed to start from October 2008 but in view of the political disturbances in North Bengal it is most unlikely that the inflow of tourists to this area will be there till such time as things settle down. Anyway, I have made some changes to my plans for the project and I am now going to open it earlier as a day resort cum picnic spot. I will now do the inauguration on 15th August, 2008 when I intend to invite some ministers of North Bengal along with the top bureaucrats and defence personnel and my entire tea fraternity, school friends and of course all other ‘Goats’.Work in the resort is going on in full swing and I slog from 6 a.m.to 8 p.m.every day and believe me guys there is nothing like sincere hard work as I am enjoying it. If only I had worked like this for the last 35 years.
Anyway no regrets, as at 55 I am still going strong and I can still take on 20 year olds on the ground both in hockey and football. In the village I have trained 24 youngsters in the 7-17 years age group to play hockey and believe me guys, they are so talented that they just need guidance and proper coaching. Unfortunately, I did not have the money to buy them hockey sticks and hence I got them to make Bamboo hockey sticks which they did and their performance with that also is good. Are there any sponsors for the same? If so please contact me. Now that the hockey season is over we have started football and again I am training up another 24 boys. We have a fantastic football ground in the school which my father had founded and donated in 1974 before he expired in 1975. (It was his dream to see village girls get educated since boys could go to the town to study but girls could not study after the primary level. Our family ran the school for about 10 yrs with some voluntary teachers and just a handful of students. Today the school is run by the government and boasts a strength of about 1,200 students out of which about 800 are girls.) I have marked the football ground as per international standards for football. On August 15th after the inauguration and various activities are over we will end the day with a football match between my team and a team from Siliguri where some ‘goats’ are also players.
I am forming a private limited company with about 2 lakh shares and one of our school junior boys Mr Shyam Agarwal is my C.A. and he is doing all my necessary documentation.Can I expect investments from any of you?!!! If so please get in touch with me. By mid July I will have the brochures and website ready.It is a dream project and hospitality is something I always wanted to do from my college days. I guess it is never too late to do anything if one has the determination.Regards to all your family members and most of all keep in good health and make a programme to be at my resort on 15th August 2008. I am attaching a little write-up along with some photographs which are computer generated. – Abdul Samad (ISC70)


Abdul Samad (ISC70) spent ten years in GMS (1961-1970). He was an avid sportsman and was in the Hockey and Football 1st XI. He graduated from St Joseph’s College and represented Darjeeling district in football whilst in college. He was till recently in the tea business. - Bishan Dewan (ISC70).

1 comment:

My School - I wish said...

Congratulations Abdul on your new endeavour.
When the brocures are ready, do send a few to me for investment purpose.
Well done Bishan.
Regards
Radheshyam