Monday, October 8, 2007

Stop SMS ing

Dear friends,

I was a regular viewer of "Indian Idols" when it was first launched by Sony TV about three years ago. I admit I had also voted naively for two or three candidates who I felt was really good. They went into the next round.
However there was one candidate who I, my family and the judges felt was really bad.
But imagine our surprise when that particular candidate went into the next round.
It was then I understood the meaning of the words of the comperes of the show when he/she exorted us to "cast as many votes as possible for our favourite candidates"
The best candidate does not win. This would have been the case if each mobile would be allowed to cast one vote only. The candidate who gets the maximum votes wins. This is by multiple voting. This is another form of booth capturing and stamping votes, an art so perfected by our politicians.
The politicians have divided us on the basis of caste and religion. Now the media is dividing us on the basis of states so that we fight against each other.The Siliguri rioting was an eye opener.
The only persons who benefit from this are the telecom companies and the sponsors who get a cut from the companies.
Do you think it is Sony TV who is paying the winner,the 1 crore and one year contract. No it is your SMS.
Do you think the it is STAR TV who is giving away the 1 crore when AB or SRK hands over the cheque with a flourish.
No. It is your SMS.
Nowadays, you look up any paper. They have all jumped onto the bandwagon They are all trying to milch this cash cow by asking your opinon, as if it counts.
For any topic nowadays newspapers want your opinion by SMS so that they can get a cut.Your opinions are meaningless. The other day I noticed a result of one such opinon poll of a major newspaper having a circulation of over 10 lakhs. The polled votes was only 375 and these constituted 80 % of the votes.
It should be made mandatory for all such opinon polls to give the actual number of votes polled with the percentage.
If they actually wanted my opinion, they should make the SMS free.
I write to you all forward this opinion of mine to as many people as possible, if you agree.
Stop wasting money on these useless SMS's.
The telecom companies are already rich.
Don't make them richer with your hard earned money.
If there are any of our boys working in telecom companies, I aplogise, but I am firm in my opinion.
Cheers for Goethals!

Radheshyam Sharma

No comments: