Monday, February 19, 2018

My Experiment with Diabetes

India is the diabetes capital of the world and as per the latest WHO report there are more than 50 million people in India having Type-2 diabetes. I too joined the pack in the year 2008.
Like many other diseases, diabetes is a hereditary disease and I was expecting to inherit it as my father and all my uncles on my father's side had it. However, they were all fortunate as they did not reach the stage when they had to take insulin injections.
My father discovered he had it when he was around 40. I got it when I was 50 probably because I did not smoke and led a regulated life with controlled diet after my angioplast procedure in 2000.
This heart problem has also been inherited from my father's side as he and his brothers died of heart disease.
Ever since discovering I had diabetes, I have always checked my fasting blood sugar every Sunday morning with an Accuchek instrument to keep it in control.
Initially, my medicines werelight and my fasting blood sugar with medicines was in the range 90-100.
However, as years passed, the range went higher, first 100-110 and then 110-120.
However, when it started going in the range 120-130, I got worried and the doctor prescribed a combined dose of two medicines in Janumet XRCP. This has Metformin Hydrochloride and Sitagliptin Phosphate.This brought down my sugar again to the range 110-120. 
However, in the last 3 months, the sugar level again mounted and came in the range 130-140. This got me worried and when I consulted the doctor, he doubled the dose of Janumet XRCP. While, earlier I took one dose of two tablets at night, now he advised me to take one dose in the morning and one at night.
Now, these are expensive medicines. One strip of seven days tablet cost Rs 340/- Now doubling it would cost me Rs 680/- for one weeks supply. A months supply would cost me around Rs 3000.00
Necessity, as we all is the mother of invention although Mr. Doolittle, in My Fair Lady did talk of Mother being the invention of All necessities.
Just when I was getting worried, a relative of mine informed me of any Ayurvedic Medicine she was using in Gujarat which had reduced her fasting sugar from 175 to 120.
I immediately got two packs and started taking about a week ago,three times a day, before meals, together with Janumet XRCP which I took in the morning only after Breakfast.

Result.
Yesterday, in spite of taking reasonable quantity of sweets during the week, my fasting sugar came down to 110. I had earlier stopped taking sweets completely.
The medicine contains Bark of Neem, Karela, Vijaysar, Jambu, Bael, Harde, Gudmar and Methi seeds. These are all Ayurved medicines.
I wanted to share this news with all of you since I know many of you would be diabetes patients.
Since I am satisfied, I will be bringing a few more packs next week and if anyone having Type - 2 diabetes would like to try it out, I can combine the order and get additional quantities.Each pack of 200 gm costs Rs 120/-. Taking a spoonful, thrice a day should last around 15-20 days.

No comments: