Sunday, December 19, 2010

A Van Puller and a Master of Arts

MA no ticket out of van-puller’s job
ANSHUMAN PHADIKAR

Tamluk, Dec. 18: A postgraduate degree may not be enough in Bengal for someone trying to break out of the family occupation of hauling goods on a cycle van.

Sanjit Manna, 30, of Tamluk in East Midnapore has an MA in philosophy from Vidyasagar University. But since earning the degree in 2003, he has failed to secure a job. So, he has no option but to pull his father’s cycle van.

Standing by his van, a cloth tied around his head, Sanjit said: “I have appeared in several exams conducted by the School Service Commission and the Public Service Commission. But I am yet to get a job.”

He has not given up hope. “I have even appeared in exams for Group D jobs. I hope to get a proper job one day.”

His father, Durgapada, died two months ago after a heart attack. “I tried everywhere for a job. When I did not get one, I took up my father’s job,” Sanjit said.

“I ferry goods for wholesale medicine distributors and the local post office. I transport medicines from godowns to shops. I also carry letters that arrive by trains to the post office.”

Sanjit said he earned about Rs 3,000 a month. “But the money is not enough to support my family. I have to look after my mother and my wife. My younger brother is a Class X dropout. He helps me load and unload goods.”

Sanjit’s wife Anupama, 20, said she would take her higher secondary exams next year. “My husband encourages me to continue with my studies. No matter how tired he is, he asks about my preparations every night after coming back from work. He helps me with my studies whenever he can.”

Sanjit’s mother Gitarani said she helped her son in her own small way. “I earn some money by making puffed rice,” she said. “My husband and I never went to school but I feel sorry for my son. He is so well educated, yet he has not succeeded in getting a job.”

Sanjit said he had once toyed with the idea of starting a small business. “Neither did I have the money nor the acumen for business,” he added. “I keep appearing in competitive exams. I keep myself updated and have not lost touch with my books.”

Asim Kumar Bera, the principal of Mahishadal Raj College from where Sanjit did his BA, said he felt “shocked and ashamed” that a student of his institute had to pull a cycle van. “If Sanjit wants to appear in competitive exams in future, we will coach him for free,” he said.

The youth welfare officer of East Midnapore, Basudeb Samanta, said the government gave loans to unemployed youths under various self-employment schemes.

“Sanjit can apply for a loan. We will consider the possibility of granting him a loan to start a small business.”



The above is from the Telegraph
While I do not for a second hold the job of a van puller a disgrace however, I do believe that each person should get an appropriate job depending upon his qualifications.
I commend Sanjit Das in that he has decided to take up a low paying job rather than take up robbery or extortion or dacoity.
It is the 40 years of CPM rule in Bengal which is to be blamed for allowing things to come to this state where all jobs have been driven out of Bengal.
Bengalis thus have to leave their state and go to far off places like Gujarat and Kerala if would seek good employment opportunities.If the stay back, they receive the same fate as Sanjit Das.
Not that things will improve under Mamta Banerjee.
It will become even worse.
The future is very bleak for Bengal.

No comments: