Friday, October 9, 2009

Our School Grub

Ever since I passed out of college, I always had factory duty, generally 8.00 to 5.00., six days a week.
I always envied those who worked on 5 days a week.
God has been kind to me as after retirement I have to work on only 3 days a week.
Since my retirement I have started working in the office, 10.0 to 6.00.
The commuting is not as easy as when going to the factory.
There I could take my tiffin carrier which had 3 containers and everything went without spilling over.
When coming to the office I have reduced that to just a box with a small container inside for the curry.
I also take a packet of Parle-G which costs Rs 3/-.
This is to stave of hunger at around 5.00 pm as I reach home by 7.00 pm.
I always share the biscuits with my neighbour.
This morning he remarked, "Has, Parle made you their branch ambassador? Every day you are bringing just Parle-G biscuits. Don't you get bored?"
I smiled and said. "For 11 years in school, we had the same food daily at breakfast, lunch, tea and dinner. Bread, butter, porridge (Oats or Suji), two bananas and tea for breakfast; Rice, Dal, 4 chapatties and one curry (usually cabbage) and half a papar at lunch, four slices of bread, butter and tea in the evening and rice, dal and curry for dinner.
I still remember the menu.
We have become habituated to having the same food. I suppose, that is why our wives do not have a difficult time. Anything they put on the table, we say our grace and gobble it down."
I was discussing with some of our boys.
All of them are of the same opinion and so are their wives.
They have all certified that our boys from Goethals are not at all finicky of food.
I am proud of this certificate.
After all, we eat to live only.

No comments: