Friday, February 19, 2010

Narendra Modi Speaks

Narendra Modi, Chief Minister of Gujarat, also writes a blog http://www.narendramodi.com/post/Common-mans-concerns-Price-Rise-and-Internal-Security.aspx#comment.
Today I came across the following post.


Common man's concerns: Price Rise and Internal Security
by Narendra Modi 19. February 2010 12:08
Friends,

Last couple of months have been extremely busy. And hence I could not find enough time to interact with you. First it was my Government's one of the important priorities: `Garib Kalyan Mela' that kept me engaged. And later, my visits to Delhi.

During my visits to Delhi and interactions with the Central Government, I raised two very important aspects of Governance that we as Indians expect them to think and act on: Price Rise and Internal Security. I personally and very strongly feel these two should be on top in any Central Government's priority as it has an impact on a common man's life.

So I thought today I will share my views with you through this blog. You can visit the links below to read the full text of my speech.

http://www.narendramodi.in/speeches_textfile/speeches_textfile_detail/86

http://www.narendramodi.in/speeches_textfile/speeches_textfile_detail/91

And yes as always I will wait for you comments.

Yours

Narendra Modi


While I agree that Food and Security are important topics for discussion, I am of the opinion there are two other topics which are far more important and they are the cause of the topics Mr. Modi has raised.
I have expressed my views to Mr Modi which are given below.


The two most burning issues for India today are Population and Corruption.
The corruption issue is being raised by everybody after Swami Ramdeo took it up in his "Bharat Swabhiman" movement. We are seeing some perceptible results in Bihar where they have passed a law by which they will confiscate the ill-gotten wealth of corrupt government officials and politicians. It surprised me that even politicians have been added for they consider themselves a class apart.
When are you going to pass such a law in Gujarat or do you mean to tell me there is no corruption in Gujarat?
The population issue has been put in hibernation ever since Sanjay Gandhi committed the excess during Emergency.
Why?
Except for Gulam Navi Azad, I have not heard any politician raise this issue.
Swami Ramdeo mentioned it casually once in his programme but has not mentioned it again. I wonder why?
By the year 2020, we will be exceeding China's population.
With one third the area of China we have the same population. Our population density is 329 per Sq Km against China's 136. In the decade 2000 - 2009, while China's population increased 5.5% our population increased 15.2%.By the year 2050, the population of China will increase by 6.4% and become 1,424,161,948. On the other hand, our population will increase by 43.2% and become 1,656,553,632.
How are we going to feed these people?
I remember the year 1966-67 when there was drought and we had to import sub-standard grains to feed our people under the PL-480 plan.
The Green Revolution made all that look like a bad dream and we romped about producing children.
Well the gains which the Green Revolution gave us have been exhausted. Our population has overcome the gains and we are back to square one.
One bad monsoon and we are crying for food.
As per law of averages we have had very good monsoon rain for the last 8 to 10 years so we can expect bad monsoons for another two or three years.
How are we going to feed the burgeoning population?
With so much corruption and thuggery by the political class, I am really worried.
What do you plan to do, Mr. Chief Minister?

2 comments:

Jay Patel said...

Mr. Sharma..

A US President once said, "ask not what your country and do for you, but what you can do for your country."

I feel you are asking Mr. Modi to perform a miracle. Population control is the responsiblity of every Indian. Modiji is a man, not a god. If there is corruption, it is because the people hove allowed it to flurish, voting corrupt leaders to power. I don't know how far a bottle of liquor or a wad of cash goes these days, but it's there, unchecked.

IF these two issues are burning you so much, what have you done about them? You and I have a responsiblity also. We can begin by educating others to vote for the right leaders who want change. We can teach the people how "over population" can be a negative aspect to our well being, and expose those who are corrupt, (including the Indian Media. What do you say you and I join efforts for these? Mr. Modiji is doing his part, and a fine job of it too. Let us do ours also...

I pray everyday for Mr. Modiji, when deep in Meditation. I hope god will keep him strong and safe for all time. I would like the people of India to stand behind Him one day, (and they will, when the time is right) as he the best chance we have.

Jai Hind..

Jay Patel

My School - I wish said...

Jay,
You are comparing India with the USA where democracy is of a very high standard. The United States Cabinet (usually referred to as the President's Cabinet) is composed of the most senior appointed officers of the executive branch of the federal government of the United States. Its existence dates back to the first American President, George Washington, who appointed a Cabinet of four people to advise and assist him in his duties. Cabinet officers are nominated by the President and then presented to the United States Senate for confirmation or rejection by a simple majority. If approved, they are sworn in and begin their duties. Aside from the Attorney General, and previously, the Postmaster General, they all receive the title Secretary. Members of the Cabinet serve at the pleasure of the President.
You see here, the Senate has to approve the appointment and the Senate is known to be thorough in the scrutiny of the appointments and have rejected the President's appointees on many occasions. Appointees have been known to withdraw rather than face the Senate review, unlike India where corrupt people like Lalu Yadav and Sibu Soren were appointed to the cabinet in the first Manmohan Singh Government and history sheeters were there in Lalu's Bihar Government.
As far as chosing corrupt people, I personally would not vote for 95% of the b*****ds who go as our MPs and MLAs, they have not been begotten by me. They chose themselves by booth capturing, bribing and threatening the people. They win with hardly 15% of the votes as most people are disgusted and do not go to vote
This problem is not new and has been going on since Mr. Nehru's time when he did not take action on corrupt people since they were his cronies.
I am doing my part through my blog.I have two children and my son too has two. So you see, we have taken no part in the increase in population.
However, this is not enough.
The Chinese have controlled their population not by explaining.
They do not give any state benefits to the couples who exceed the limit. In the earthquake two years ago, where thousands of children were killed, couples who lost their children were given special permission by the authorities to produce more children. So you see, you have to use both carrot and stick to bring the people in line.
The educated realize the hardships involved in having too many children and voluntarily control the size of their families. But the people who should actually be controlling are producing unrestricted as they believe, the more children they have, the more hands they will have for working. It is these people who should be taught.This only the government can do.
However, the political parties will not take a united stand on this issue.If one party supports the policy, another party will oppose, just for the sake of opposing and vote bank politics. I too admire Mr. Modi for what he has done for Gujarat and have said so in many of my earlier blogs, if you have read them. I too wish him a long life.
But when you say Mr Modi is doing his part, I disagree.I am not asking him to perform miracles but to do what he is supposed to do.
As a Chief Minister, he should intiate policies which will penalize people who produce more than two children. People still hanker for government jobs, ration cards, concessions in education, reservations. All these should be given provided the people produce within the norms to be set by the government.
I am truly shocked at Manmohan Singh.
His earlier cabinet was handicapped by the presence of Lalu Yadav with ten children. Now that the handicap has been removed, he should go all out to control our population otherwise the benefits of development will never reach everybody.
There will alway be beggars on the streets and we will always have "slumdogs."
These may be good in films but are a disgrace to India.
Even if one person sleeps hungry, it is a disgrace to our country.