Sunday, January 19, 2014

Why I joined AAP by former journalist Ashutosh

New Delhi: Ashutosh, a prominent journalist, quit as Managing Editor of IBN7 to join the Aam Aadmi Party in January.

Why did I join politics? Ever Since I left IBN7 as managing editor, almost everyone is asking me this question. I was the head of the news channel and at the pinnacle of my journalistic career.

For a journalist, these are exciting times with the parliamentary elections just a few months away. Old politics is making way for new, new faces are taking over from the old ones, new issues are dominating the political scene and above all, change is the underlying theme of the socio-political discourse.

There is too much to understand, too much to report and too much to analyze.

News channels are back to news and to debates and discussions. It, therefore, seems the most opportune time to be working in news.

Still, I decided to move on to an uncertain terrain leaving behind a cushy job, a rather handsome salary and a reputation of being a fearless journalist and jumping into the most cursed profession without any source of income, literally unemployed, dependent on my wife's moderate salary.

I was never a copy-book journalist who always strove to be an editor who maintained neutrality and tried to seek a middle path without being blamed for a tilt or bias. I always had strong views and never minced my words in expressing them. For me journalism was a passion, an emotional connect to people and issues, and that was the reason I never hesitated in taking a stand and vocalising the truth without worrying about the consequences. For that I was both praised and despised in my peer groups.

The Anna movement came as a breath of fresh air and in no time it caught my imagination. I felt that something was changing fundamentally and Indian politics was breaking new ground. The response to the movement was magnetic and electrifying. I could suddenly see the national discourse changing and the fight against corruption became the most talked about subject but the stubborn old-style politics refused to give way and let it succeed.

It was then that the idea of changing the character of politics by entering it caught the imagination of agitators.

The Aam Aadmi Party was formed and they proved in no time that the impossible was possible and formed the government. During this time, after interacting with scores of people I came to the conclusion that this political movement needs to be strengthened from the inside.

Journalism has its limitations, its own boundaries, it does not let anyone support from beyond a point. I got thinking. This is the historic moment, time to contribute by direct participation and I should not just be a bystander.

But the bigger question was how to earn the daily bread without any salary and meet other expenses? A tough call made easy by my wife. She said "don't worry we will manage" and will live comfortably in her modest salary.

The urge to be part of a revolution and make some contribution to history and to help make the nation better got the better of me and I decided to quit. Journalism became history for me.

Whenever I will look back, I will remember those fascinating days of journalism with pride and happiness but that is the past and I have to move into the future on a different path.

No comments: