Sunday, September 5, 2010

Msgs from friends 68







After about 4 months I shot off my weekly mail to our boys.
I suppose, not hearing from me for such a long time made them assume the worst.
So naturally, getting my mail was a great relief which they have expressed in their mails.
Ashok Mirchandani even asked me to inform them if I was going into the hiber mode. But that was not known even to me.
I did not know when my grand-daughter would allow me to sit on the computer.
Anyhow, I suppose the hibernation was good in one respect.
We came to hear from Bro. Corbett, Haemish, Nihar, David Phillips, Marc Sayce and quite few others.
I hope we will keep the mails going.

Radheshyam

Msg from Anand Rai

Good to have you back, hope and pray that all is well at your place, love to your grand-daughter and yes great of her to keep you so engaged and also robbing us of your weekly humour and news. We really missed it but yes family comes first.

Hope we can hear more often from you and BTW have you read Khuswant Singh's latest book, I am trying to get hold of it. Heard it has great reading.

Take care and yes do all things well!

Cheers!
Anand


Msg from Bishan Dewan

Welcome back RS da. It wasn't the same without your regular blog.
Bishan


Msg from David Phillips

Hi Radesh,

Good to have you back on air, even if you cannot make it as frequently as you did in the past, some news of people and events from GMS and India are always worth the read, keep it going as and when you can.

Best Regards,
Dave Phillips (1954-1960)


Msg from Ashok Mirchandani

Nice to see that you are alive and kicking , thanks to your list of support items! Most important, before Baba Ramdeo, the plus factor is your granddaughter, so be thankful. This pause caused worries raising unaskable questions. Next hibernation, please announce! Things will improve as everything has an expiry date, including bad luck, bad health and bad environment!
Ashok


Msg from Bro. John Corbett

Dear Radheshyam, you were missed here in Galway,on the west coast of Ireland! I was wondering why your "weeklies" were not coming. I thought illness had prevented you. Now, I learn that your grand-daughter opined that her needs at the computer were urgent than yours!
I was glad to see a message from an ex-pupil, Willie Wu. I used to correspond with Willie when he was based in Vancouver. Seemingly, he has moved to Toronto.
With every good wish. Keep up the good work.

John Corbett
(Goethals: 1958 - 1962)


Dear Bro. Corbett,
It’s always a pleasure receiving your letters which we always look forward to and
is one of the threads which binds us to school and our old teachers.
Yes, Willy is in Canada with quite a few of our boys including Ralph Reeves and N K Sircar.
We all cherish the days we spent in Goethals with the other Christian brothers although at that time we could not show our appreciation as the highly disciplined life was a bother.
In hindsight, we see that it was the discipline that has made us what we are.
Unfortunately, that discipline is missing from the present generation and we can see the results everywhere.

Warm regards and very good wishes

Radheshyam


Msg from Edwin Bernard

Dear Radheshyam, glad to hear from you again. Keep enjoying your daughter. I liked the cowboy story, brought a smile to my face :) Edwin

Msg from Bhaskar Chakravati

Dear Radheshyamji,
Pranam ! Great to have you back after a break.
I must share with you that on 11th July the day of the world cup final I was for the first time with Ex-Goethalites at Lake Club,Kolkata during my vacation.Thanks to Rudra who organized the meeting.It was great to see Pradeep Mohan, Pranab Bhattacharya, Swapan Ganguly, Pradeep Lama, Ronny Fernandez, Ratnankar, Ranjan Guha Majumdar and K.D.Gupta. I was with my wife ,daughter and son. Some of the friend's spouses were also present. We had a memorable evening meeting most of them after 1971. I was happy to sing the school song taught by our music teacher Ludwig-'Do what you do, do well'.A picture of that evening captured by me is attached.
Best wishes,
Bhaskar

"To give service to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer" - Mahatma Gandhi


Msg from Amrit

Hi

Good to have you back on the mails :)

I am sorry that I did not enquire as I myself was busy with relocating and moving into a new job

Do take care of your health and keep writing in

Regards

amRit


Msg from Amarnath Banerjee

Hari Ohm Sharmajee, Welcome back ! Been missing you.

Msg from Jimmy Keir

Hi Radesh,

Glad to have you on line again. You can see how many of us missed your blog. One small correction-Rex Agacy, Peter Lewis and myself are from the Class of 52 and not 53 as mentioned by Henry. Your granddaughter sounds cute.

Warm regards,

Jimmy


Msg from Haemish

Salutations Radesh...
Wise dispenser of knowledge and opinions, may I join this illustrious company. My sentiments echo those of the vox populi.
Welcome back to the information 'super-highway'
I find your articles really interesting and the 'link' it has with school days of yester year. 'The song has ended but the 'Melody Lingers On'
The Batch Of 51. Oh dear! am I well past my 'sell-by date'? I can remember the Dead Sea when it was only SICK!
I just recently had an e-mail from Henry Hulley who was a year above me, in fact I was in class with his younger brother Tommy. Another one of my classmates was Peter Gordeno who had a very successful Show Biz career here in the UK unfortunately, he passed away a couple of years ago. I remember K.K.Chirimar very well, he also was a classmate. As a regular visitor to India, I often take time out to visit Goethals, and over the years I donated quite a few special sports Trophies to the school ( period: Bro..Fitzpatrick and the Principal after him) in fact Intl.Trophies Cal. of which I am the sponsor, supplied the trophies for the Centenary. I was even in attendance on the Last day when Bro. Fitzpatrick left Goethals. I think it was 1987? In 2005 I drove by motor bike from Puri (Orissa) all the way up to Goethals.
I guess it's time I should introduce myself: Haemish Kane....world famous in Scotland but, never heard of anywhere else! (will explain at a later date) my elder brothers names are Alistair and Patrick.The principal during our time was Bro. Dineen. other Bro.'s incl. Lynch, McCann, Fitzpatrick and Siter Agnes. excuse me, my memory is so bad I can't even remember the words to Happy Birthday.
By the way, I would be very interested in getting the list of Goethals Old Boys 1907 - 1957. Where are they now? I did notice my name on the Roll of Honour. I will be pleased to hear from anyone. I will be back in India on Oct.1st. to start on yet another six months travel oddessy.
Look forward to your interesting articles and bon mots.

Spelling Disclaimer: My spelling is Wobbly. Its good spelling but it Wobbles, and the letters get in the wrong place.
Citizen Kane a fully paid up member of the human race and an all round good egg.

Haemish......... has left the building


Msg from Sandeep Dass Shrestha

Radheshyam sir

I am very glad to get your message after a long and even glad to know that you are fine.I suddenly did not receive you message so I surmised that you probably must have deleted me from you contact.How wrongful of me to think so.

Anyway hope to get ur regular mail and be in touch with you and other Goethalites through your mail

Sandeep Dass Shrestha
Batch of 1995


Msg from Marc Sayce

Radheshyam

It's great to hear from you - have been off the air myself, been busy at work with yet another restructure of the business, essentially putting into place a succession plan for the future. My family was fairly busy during March and April with my daughters wedding, which went off with a bang. Caught up with Jeff Hyde the other day and is well - Hope to catch up with Keith Wallace soon.

Again great to see you are back on line.
Kind Regards,
Marc


Msg from Anupam Goswami

hello sir

its great to receive ur mail after such a long time.everyday saturday i used to open my mailbox and wait for ur mails.bt it never came.one thought did strike me that due to some reason or the other my email got id got deleted from ur sending list.bt came to knw abt the reason for nt sending.For the sake of ur grand-daughter, its worth it.
sir u mentionaned abt the list of all the boys of goethals frm 1907-2007 in this mail.i havent received even the first part of the list which you were talking abt.
i would love to hve one copy of the list.would be obliged if u kindly send it to me
Take care
cheers
ANUPAM GOSWAMI
BATCH 2004


Hari Om Anupaam,

I have attached the Old Boys list.
Since the list is long, they are in two parts.
I hope you will find them useful.

Cheers,

Radheshyam


No comments: